Identification, VIN, Trim, Engine Specs and more... 
 '50   '51   '52   '53   '54   '55   '56   '57   '58   '59   o 
 p 
 e 
 n 
 '60   '61   '62   '63   '64   '65   '66   '67   '68   '69 
 '70   '71   '72   '73   '74   '75   '76   '77   '78   '79 
Canadian car identification here: Serial Numbers 1935-1964 | 1965-1966
and more information in the reference section here.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help!!!

Help!!!

I have an engine casting number of 1381621m what year buick did this belong to? Thanx

Nice post! What makes you think its a Buick engine?

If your not sure, perhaps you should look in the Reference section...

here's were to find the various engine codes, stampings:
    http://www.teambuick.com/forums/view...t_engine_where

here's the reference page:
    http://www.teambuick.com/index.php?page=reference

but your "engine" casting # isn't showing up under anything. this doesn't mean that your engine isn't a Buick, just that we don't have a number for what you found.

use this page to get yourself in the general vicinity of the correct GM engine family:
    http://www.teambuick.com/forums/view...ent_eng_visual
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

I think its a buick because it had the buick 340-4 on the vaive cover.

well, that's a pretty good indicator. that also narrows it down to a two year range as the Buick 340 was only built for the 1966-1967 model years.

distributor at the front, tilted to the drivers side. 4 bolts holding each valve cover on. that's the basic id for a Buick 340, 300 or 215.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Buick casting number lists are very incomplete. The one on this site is as good as any.

You would do well to follow bob k. mando's first link, and find that number. The identification on that one is not a problem.
    If you would llike to place an image of your car in your signature, click here for instructions
    WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Let me explain my situation. I have a 67 skylark Hardtop Coupe with the 340-4 and the st300. As far as I know that engine/tranny package was only available on the Grans Sport but the vin does not match a GS. Also I guess it could be the California GS but aving problems finding number nline matching what I have.
    Last edited by aahbasham; 01-22-2008 at 08:41 PM.

Also I guess it could be the California GS

as far as i am aware, all Cali cars have a v6, post body VIN code but are optioned up to the GS v8. your car being a hardtop would suggest that this isn't the case.

As far as I know that engine/tranny package was only available on the Grans Sport

may not have been a 'normal' option, but this doesn't mean someone didn't option it into a non-GS car. which would probably make your car a "1 of 1".
    Vladimir Lenin

I'm just not sure what to do keep it stock or change it to a different motor and trans, because the 340 is seized and I have a 300 in there right now.So do I rebuild or change? your opinion?

the problem with Buicks is that even the 'collector' performance stuff doesn't match price with the Chevy/Ford/Mopar cars. not even close. non-performance cars ( ie - not a GS or a Riv ) are almost completely ignored.

if you can't verify this to be a 340 GS i wouldn't worry too much about keeping the driveline numbers matching. look for your build sheet or protectoplate info. even if you can prove it to be "1 of 1" i'm not sure that the market for 340-4 Skylark is going to be all that sporty.

you would probably increase the value of the car if you dropped a Buick 455/TH400 or 200r4 into it.

a Buick 350 would be much easier to find than a 340 and would be a drop in swap. SBB's are practically given away if you're willing to wait for a 340 to show up in your area though.

a mid-80s turbo 6 would also be a near drop in swap and would be quite distinctive.
    Vladimir Lenin