Were 320 Engine Cylinders Sleeved at the Factory?

Pulled the head from my 1949 Buick Sedanette and my mechanic remarked that the cylinders appear to have sleeves inserted in them. I could see the "ring" he pointed out at the top of the cylinder wall on all eight cylinders. Was this factory or done as part of a rebuild?

It would be part of a rebuild, but I would not have thought the 320 rare enough to warrant the cost unless the concern was to keep the original number for the "numbers matching" aspect.

It would be part of a rebuild, but I would not have thought the 320 rare enough to warrant the cost unless the concern was to keep the original number for the "numbers matching" aspect.

Thanks, Bob - that's what I figured. It was probably rebuilt by the first owner of the car back in the 1960's if I had to guess as to date. He drove it until 1975 or so as his jeep on his ranch. I bought it from his son in 1984 so there's no one around to ask and no paper work as to what was done exactly or by who.

I would like to see pictures of these "Sleeves". It would seem very UNLIKELY that all EIGHT cylinders would have needed to be sleeved. Way back when engines were more readily available than today.
Just my thoughts.

I would like to see pictures of these "Sleeves". It would seem very UNLIKELY that all EIGHT cylinders would have needed to be sleeved. Way back when engines were more readily available than today.
Just my thoughts.

Here are the pictures. One is a closeup of the other. It may just be impressions from the head gasket but I'm no motor mechanic.

Attachments

• IMG_5031.JPG
    IMG_5031.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 37
  • Buick Block.jpg
    Buick Block.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 27
You might be able to tell more positively if you look at the bottom of the cylinder. The shop usually will leave a lip that the sleeve sits on which may be easier to spot than the top of a well done job. You could use a magnaflux yoke to know that there is a sleeve from the top.

Wire brush the area on the engine block, spray some WD-40 on the suspected sleeve joint and blow shop air across it, if you can see liquid coming out of the joint it is a sleeve. From my experience with sleeving engines I agree with Telriv I have never saw more than one or two cylinders sleeved in a common block and that sleeve wall looked pretty thick.

The thickest replacement sleeves have a 1/8" wall, most used are 3/32". Most likely, as suggested, a gasket imprint.

Back