Identification, VIN, Trim, Engine Specs and more... 
 '50   '51   '52   '53   '54   '55   '56   '57   '58   '59   o 
 p 
 e 
 n 
 '60   '61   '62   '63   '64   '65   '66   '67   '68   '69 
 '70   '71   '72   '73   '74   '75   '76   '77   '78   '79 
Canadian car identification here: Serial Numbers 1935-1964 | 1965-1966
and more information in the reference section here.

Thread: Any books available for 1957 Riviera "56R"?

57Boomer Guest

Any books available for 1957 Riviera "56R"?

I'm not able to find any service books for my new project.

Any websites that can:

breakdown data-plate codes (protecto-plate?)

provide tune-up specifications?

identify engine size, transmision type and rear gears?

Very anxious to start, smart enough not to without books, info, etc.

Thumbs up Re:'57 Buick

Hey 57 Boomer!

I see that You are a New Member!

Welcome Aboard!

If You Go to the Shop Section of: www.buicks.net

There is plenty of Pertinent Valued Information Available

If you bounce around, nagivate and investigate the site you will find some books and literature that is available.

You can also check-out www.hemmings.com and LQQK for vendors for a Service Manual. Any/All reference material you can find on You car is Very Necessary along with a Chassis and Parts Guide and Buick Parts locating Guide.

A Lot of Valued Information is available here and on buicks.net.

Check the E-bay Forum: I recently posted an Item that could be of interest.

Hemmings has a book on Buicks which also has a section devoted to the '57 Buick !

Right off the top of my head I can tell You the '57 is one of the best cars ever make. I wasn't realized at the time of production which was pretty much considered a "FLOP"

But over the years the '57 has become the Poster Child for Beauty, Slyle, Grace, Elegance and Performance.

'57 was the first year for the larger 364 ci Nailhead 2 barrel 250 HP, 4 Barrel has 300 HP and Plenty of Torque!

The Automatic Transmission is a DYNAFLOW!

Tuning Specs and other Valued Information is available in the Shop Section along with a Nailhead Parts Interchange.

Every Vehicle has it's "Achillies Heal" and with the '57 it happens to be the Front End. Replacement Parts are VERY Expensive so be prepaired. You probably have about 2 dozen grease fittings for the front end. The first (1st) thing I would do is make sure those baby's are "Packed" with Plenty of Grease!

I wish You a lot of luck with Your New Project and If YOU need Additional HELP! You Know Where to Find US!

Welcome and Don't Be a Stranger!

Keep US Updated on Your Progress!

Regards,

Tom Gallagher
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861

love those 57 Buicks

Hi Tom, I liked your comments about the 57 Buick, particularly because I have one and up here we are quite alone at all the shows. Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
    Wayne Pruden
    1957 Buick Model 73 Roadmaster-4 dr hdtp (Riviera)
    364 with four barrel, Dynaflow
    pwr steering, brakes, windows, seats, antennae, factory air (Compressor is not in right now)
    car is weak on vacuumn and I am not too excited about opening up the vacuumn pump to see about increasing the vacuumn to help out my wipers.
    If you are interested I could give you more info on the foibles of my car. I am sure you could help me (I'm not sure what's in it for you though.....curiosity??)

Love Those 57's

Hey Wayne,

Happy that You could Join Us!

The 57 was the First Year of a New Design. A little Lower, Wider and Longer than the previous 54-56 body and frame!

Some things of course are carried over. Like the Torque tube and Dynaflow with a New Larger Nailhead 364 V-8

I'm Not sure about the 57's. I know my '56 has Vacumn Wipers but I also have a Dual Action Fuel Mechanical Fuel Pump which controls Fuel and Vacumn. If the System is sucking Air they your loosing Vacumn

Any Vacumn leak in the system like worn gaskets esp. the Intake and carb would contribute to a leak which would effect your wipers which are at the End of the loop.

The Old Original Compressed Tarpaper Diaphrams if they haven't been replaced have worn out their welcome and any line are probable brittle, cracked or broken.

It is pretty much a issue that is corrected by a process of elimination and problems can be furthur complicated my multiple problems.

You don't know where to start other than replacing the old components, lines, gaskets and such with New.

I hope that my explaination is making sense to you and that You are understanding and grasping the point I'm trying to illustrate!

Regards,

Tom Gallagher

Get a Notebook, like a diary to keep track of everything you do or correct for future reference on what has or has not been done.

Intake and Carb Gaskets along with the lines Vacumn and fuel (Fuel Filter) and the Metal lines that run to and frow connected to the carb!
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861