Identification, VIN, Trim, Engine Specs and more... 
 '50   '51   '52   '53   '54   '55   '56   '57   '58   '59   o 
 p 
 e 
 n 
 '60   '61   '62   '63   '64   '65   '66   '67   '68   '69 
 '70   '71   '72   '73   '74   '75   '76   '77   '78   '79 
Canadian car identification here: Serial Numbers 1935-1964 | 1965-1966
and more information in the reference section here.

Thread: 72 GS 350 Engine Serial Number

norm Guest

I just picked up a nice 72 GS 350 Convert and I am trying to determine if it is the original engine. I have located the casting number 1231447 which appears to be correct for the year but I can not locate the Serial number. I have tried just below the left cylinder head under the power steering pump, on the deck between the spark plugs. Any other Ideas would be helpful. Has anyone ever heard of a Buick engine with out a serial number stamped in?

Thanks for the help.

------------------

My 68 GS350 has a 1971 Buick 350 in it, with 72 heads. The distributor should be on the front of the engine to be a Buick. My 71 block has the block # stamped vertically on the front of the block on the left(driver's) side between the power steering and the distributor. Not sure if 72 should be there or not.

------------------
    David Gramlow
    1968 GS350
    GSCA 861

norm Guest

David
    Thanks I thought it should be there as well but not on this one. I will keep looking.

My350 Guest

Maybe one of you could help me, I have a Buick V8 that I have no idea what it is. Where can I find info on the block that would lead me toward learning what this thing is? Also, there is a 72 cast into the cylinder head above the exhaust ports on #1 and #8. Could that be the year of the casting?

norm Guest

MY350
    Try this site for your casting numbers.
    http://www.users.qwest.net/~kbbeckius/blockid.html

If they are not there try this one.
    http://www.atlantabuick.com/CastingNumbers.htm

I am not sure what the 72 indicates but mine has it also and I am positive it is a 72 engine. I just can not locate a serial number.

Unhappy

An owner of a 70 GSX wrote me trying to confirm the originality of his engine. He noted the numbers on the block had been completely removed previously when the head gasket surface was machined (decked).

Luckily he discovered the original owner of his car on one of the sites where I directed him.

If you go to the "Shop" on this site, go to "de-coding", "engine idnetifcation, identify your Buick engine", you will find pictures of number locations.

Dale Guest

I had a mystery Buick 350 I bought as a replacement engine for a '80 Pontiac wagon (mighty winter beater) I owned and wanted to nail down the year so I could attempt to get an emissions exemption certificate from the state of MN. (pre '76 engines were exempt) I could not trace the serial or casting numbers through Hollander manuals etc. I finally ended up writing a letter to GM Powertrain for their help and they wrote back to tell me the engine was probably a "special use or export engine" they couldn't tell me the year or application either. But, perhaps they could help anyone else who is lokking for info.
    I'll have to look their address up and post it for anyone interested.
    Don't get me started on what a joke the emission testing programs these states impose on people are! This car passed with a hollow catalytic converter and nothing more than a pcv valve! I had others pass that shoudn't have also.
    Thank Goodness MN ended this farce a couple of years ago after many years of public outcry.
    Thanks for letting me rant.
    Dale

------------------
    1970 Riviera
    1996 LeSabre
    And many Buicks in the past.

72 buick vin

If you check your owner's manual for vin's and engine id,
    You'll find on the passenger side front face the last six numeric digits will be stamped on the machined surface. I had to remove an A/C bracket to view this number.The six digits will also be stamped on the driver's side of the transmission right above the middle of the pan on a small machined surface. I had to used a putty knife and some brake cleaner to clear the debris. If the components are original, the last six digits from the vin will correspond to these stampings. Email me and I'll scan the page from the owner's manual. heidibuffalo@yahoo.com
    Eg. VIN =
    4G67K2H123456

123456 wil be stamped on that machined surface
    Last edited by Buffalojoem; 04-21-2009 at 06:26 AM.

David Walker, BCA #30832
    "GS By The Numbers" Cast, Stamped, Part No., 1970 Field Manual $45.00
    "GS By The Numbers" Cast, Stamped, Part No., 1971 Field Manual $45.00
    "GS By The Numbers" Cast, Stamped, Part No., 1972 Field Manual $45.00
    "V.I.N.-Trim-Paint" By The Numbers, Buick V.I.N., Body and Interior Color Codes 1950-1975 $45.00
    Atlanta Buick Specialties,LLC.