Identification, VIN, Trim, Engine Specs and more... 
 '50   '51   '52   '53   '54   '55   '56   '57   '58   '59   o 
 p 
 e 
 n 
 '60   '61   '62   '63   '64   '65   '66   '67   '68   '69 
 '70   '71   '72   '73   '74   '75   '76   '77   '78   '79 
Canadian car identification here: Serial Numbers 1935-1964 | 1965-1966
and more information in the reference section here.

Thread: 1970 skylark engine code mystery

1970 skylark engine code mystery

Hi I am new to the forum. I have a 1970 skylark. The engine serial number does not match the vin so I believe the block is not original. The engine code is not like anything I have seen on line. The info fro the block is
    engine block serial number -40107178
    engine casting number - 1382201
    intake manifold casting number - B-1231924-E (350)
    engine block production code - B 8b

Can anyone help identify what I have, year, displacement, compression ratio, were manufactured

Thanks
    jsbuzz
    Attached Images Attached Images

in 1970, the 'SB' code engine was the lower compression, 4 barrel 350ci. the 'S' that should be to the left of the B may not have gotten stamped OR you might need to pull the head to see it. the '8b' on the right is normally a 3 digit date code of some sort. perhaps a second attempt to stamp 'SB'? i wonder how drunk the machinist was that day.

due to the EIN, this appears to be a 1970 engine.

4 0 107178
    4 == Buick
    0 == 1970
    107178 == sequential production number, should match last 6 digits of the VIN on the car this engine came out of. looks to be very early model year production.

the 'SB' configuration engine can be converted to the high output 'SP' code ( 315 Gross HP, factory rated ) with a piston and cam swap. Buick controlled combustion chamber size in the small block via piston dish.

the distributor is to the front of the engine and the valve covers each have six bolts holding them on, right?

http://www.teambuick.com/reference/ident_eng_visual.php

oh, the intake casting number also shows up in our small block list
    http://www.teambuick.com/reference/c...mall_block.php
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Thanks for the reply. Yes it is the six bolt valve cover.

Well I guess the guy I bought the car from was wrong . Since the vin does not match the engine number it is not the original motor. should be no surprise as he thought it might have be a GS and it is not. Skylark Custom. Next winter I plan to pull the motor and trans and do a rebuild. What part number cam did the higher Hp 350 use?

1970 skylark code mystery

Thanks for the reply. Yes the distributer is in the front ofthe engine and there are six bolts holding on the valve covers. Since theengine number doesn’t match the VIN I guess the block is not original to thecar. That stinks.

How much does this hurt the value of the car?

What part number cam did the higher Hp 350 use?

i wouldn't worry about the factory GS cam. technology has come a long way in 45 years.

call TA Performance or the major cam company of your choice and tell them what you're up too.

people with mild rebuilds seem to like the streetability of the RV cam.

How much does this hurt the value of the car?

probably not much, since it was a small block, non-GS.

the Buick 350 can be built for a lot of power BUT the Buick small block gets no respect, so will have no resale value. the 455 is a fairly straightforward swap and a favorite of the Buick people.

there are very few Buick year / models that command high prices. you've pretty much got to have a Gran Sport, Stage 1 or Riviera to get much money for it.

biggest problem is if you spent GS money to buy this car and now you find out that it isn't ....
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)