Identification, VIN, Trim, Engine Specs and more... 
 '50   '51   '52   '53   '54   '55   '56   '57   '58   '59   o 
 p 
 e 
 n 
 '60   '61   '62   '63   '64   '65   '66   '67   '68   '69 
 '70   '71   '72   '73   '74   '75   '76   '77   '78   '79 
Canadian car identification here: Serial Numbers 1935-1964 | 1965-1966
and more information in the reference section here.

Thread: What dealership sold my car in 1957

Question What dealership sold my car in 1957

Hello,

Can anyone tell me how to find out what dealer sold my 1957 Buick in 1957.

The reason I ask is that Im missing the dealership nameplate on my trunklid
    and would love to find one.

BR/Patric SWEDEN

that kind of information isn't formally tracked in the United States. unless you get the original buyers paperwork it would be very difficult to determine that.

the only thing i can suggest would be to try to go back through the chain of previous owners and perhaps the original purchaser ( or some of his children ) are still alive.

you can attempt a VIN search on something like Carfax.com but i don't know that that will help much for your car.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

The maroni is most likely LONG GONE by now. Id pull the back seat and look for the build sheet. May be on the gas tank also. Your Buick wont appear on carfax. Carfax only goes back to 1981 models.

The build sheet may list the final destination where the car was shipped when it left the factory as a new car. It would be listed as - SOLD TO - ( Dealership Name )

But know this also, the build sheet was considered trash once the car was finished at the factory, sometimes thrown away sometimes glued to the car itself. But still may be worth looking for.
    Last edited by UndercoverObserver; 02-17-2011 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bob k. mando View Post
    that kind of information isn't formally tracked in the United States. unless you get the original buyers paperwork it would be very difficult to determine that.

the only thing i can suggest would be to try to go back through the chain of previous owners and perhaps the original purchaser ( or some of his children ) are still alive.

you can attempt a VIN search on something like Carfax.com but i don't know that that will help much for your car.
    Contacting the previous owners is the only way that really makes sense. Carfax doesn't go back far enough. The internet is a great tool to start finding people and information. It is amazing what will come up when you google someones name. It is definitely going to be time consuming and difficult to do though. vw portland oregon
    Last edited by Alisa64; 03-12-2011 at 09:49 AM. Reason: spelling

does carfax not actually tell you the names of the previous owners?

starting your research from ~1980 rather than 2010 would simplify things a great deal.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Unhappy

Carfax covers cars made in 1981 and newer.. the report says everything about a cars history. Every ticket ever issued to it, any repairs to it, any wrecks its been , every owner whose had it ......... pretty much everything on it. The vin on a 57 model won't work tho.

The only way is to find the cars build sheet. Your car is 69 pplus years old, so you may find bits and pieces of it or nothing at all. Time ravages paper. Unless you are lucky enough to know the original owner who bought it as a new car off the buick dealers lot.

If you have the cars owners book, it will be stamped or written in it in case it would need repairs under the buick new car warranty.

For my 1962 skylark I have with the owners manual, the accessories book and buick owner protection plan booklet with service coupons. This shows that my skylark was sold new at Warthen Buick in las vegas, nevada on april 21,1962. The dealership today is actually still there..
    Last edited by UndercoverObserver; 02-21-2011 at 10:48 AM.

Thanks guys for all the answers,

I have a 52 Buick. When I looked for the build sheet under the back seat I found a Snap-On hog ring pliers between the springs and burlap. It had been there all these years since original construction. I did not find a build sheet.