Pertronix in the Straight 8 ... anyone running one ?

jd190d

I have distributor out and trying to install Pertronix #1185LS Ignitor and it seems to be made for a different engine. I have 1948 Buick Super, and shop manual looks like '48 & '49 distributor plates look quite different. Anyone know for sure?

jd, be aware the 6V Pertronix does not like low voltage. Be certain all connections are clean. If it "appears" to not be working, try charging the battery.

Ben

A new breaker plate part no 1912784 was introduced on the '49 models. It was used on through the end of straight 8 production in '53.

Here is a description of it from the 1949 Buick Product Schools booklet.

IMG_1457.JPGIMG_1458.JPGIMG_1459.JPG

Thanks to all for the feedback, rcull, Ben & Todd.

I did find out from Pertronix that the correct part for my use was #1183. They go buy the Delco-Remy number on distributor, mine ( 1110801 7M31 ).

Beware !!! ( Big Surprise ) eBay sellers list three different Pertronix part numbers and they are all are listed for 1938-56 Buick 8 cylinders.

In first entry I forgot to mention I am in the middle of 12 volt conversion with GM alternator. Thank You, Jim D.

You DID tell them bout the 12V, right? I went with their coil and with resistor plug wires, not solid core. Worked fine.

Ben

Why bother with that Chineseum garbage that will just shut off on you just as the rain starts on Sunday afternoon when you are trying to get home?????
I have the old BLUE STREAK points & condensers -- use that now -- you are good to go until 2054.... Isn't that beautiful enough????
Yours, Craig -- 516 - 485 - 1935.....

Back