83 Q-jet 4bbl t

I was reading in another forum and it came up about converting a q-jet to e85. Thought I would ask carmantx about this since it was him they were talking about. Can a Q-jet off a 1983 T Regal be converted to use e85? I have one off a 79 and 83. What is the difference in the two besides the plugins on the 83? Thanks

A quadrajet can be converted to E85 use. Many changes have to be made to allow for the 30% faster burn rate and increased flow, but yes, it can be done. E85 is all you can run at that point, it won't be flex fuel like a new car.

Quadrajet comparison. I would avoid using the electronic versions unless it is desired to be do rect for the build of the car. Almost any quadrajet can be built for any engine so it depends on what is desirable. The 79 Carb may have the APT screw accessible through air horn and that is nice for some fine tuning ability.

E85 isn't available everyplace like premium fuel is. You would have to trailer the car everyplace you wanted to go and maybe take product with you. Not good. Alky injection and octane additives would be better I guess. Maybe mixing some 85 with fuel? Doing these things when you wanted to race.

E85 isn't available everyplace like premium fuel is. You would have to trailer the car everyplace you wanted to go and maybe take product with you. Not good. Alky injection and octane additives would be better I guess. Maybe mixing some 85 with fuel? Doing these things when you wanted to race.

I don't run E85 in anything I have because it is not readily available. We do have alky injection on the GN for the big boost moments to keep the knock sensor to a minimum. And run pump gas in that car. Or did anyway. Still haven't got it back together for startup yet. Waiting on a transmission build.

Is yours a carb car? I can't remember what year you said it was.

I had to get a new turbo for mine and received the 83 carb and plenum with it. I cut the center bar and vane out of the plenum and smoothed it all up. The inside of the plenum was as ruff as a cob. I want to use the 79 carb on the 83 plenum but the 79 carb mounting gasket wont work. I hope that doesn't mean I cant use the plenum I cleaned all up. Would a 83 carb mounting gasket work I wonder?

Back