263 head question

jhodgson

Has anyone put hardened valve seats in one of these? I've looked at the cross sections provided on this site and it doesn't look good, but I just thought I'd ask if anybody had any first hand knowledge of trying this.

Thanks

I now of a 320 head that was.
I don't think hardened valve seats are particularly necessary, but there is lots of meat there.

My understanding is that hardened seats are not necessary. I did not in mine. Still good after 10-12 thousand miles. Mine has heavier, slightly, springs and larger valves.

Ben

Thanks for the replies. The two straight eight performance articles in the reference section is where I read about "soft" head material. Ben, how much bigger were you able to go with the valves? Did you use stainless? Did you go with wide single angle seats like the articles recommend? I know this is a lot of questions, but there are so few people who seem to know much about these engines. Thanks again for the help.

I am not sure just what the sizes are. I had a local performance engine machine shop do the head. I asked for as large as he thought would work. Only a sixteenth or so between valves, No on stainless. Narrow angle seat grind, . Ports can't be cleaned much, but he did what he could.

What do you plan to do with the engine?

Ben

I am not sure just what the sizes are. I had a local performance engine machine shop do the head. I asked for as large as he thought would work. Only a sixteenth or so between valves, No on stainless. Narrow angle seat grind, . Ports can't be cleaned much, but he did what he could.

What do you plan to do with the engine?

Ben
Not sure yet. I was thinking about building a 20's looking boat tail speedster for the street. Side draft Webers or SU's, T5 trans, finned aluminium drums, dropped solid front axle, etc. I have a 53 two door post special that runs pretty well and I acquired this spare engine a few years ago. Its just been sitting around and I need a project.

I have a 263. I have 100,000 miles on the engine over 30 year period. The valves have been ground and replaced and the seats have been 'toughed' up several times but the seats have held up well with todays gas.

Late but.....
I have bigger I + E Valves , in my 263 head...,they're from an old Deutz Diesel Engine, with their Retainer and Locks.
The Valves have nearly the same length as the buick ones and has also for better flow smaller 8 mm Stems ,here I run Valvestems from a old Volvo B18 or B 20 Engine.
The Retainer needs a little work on a Lathe so that they will match with the Buick Springs, also the stems must on outside Dia needs a little Lathe Job to put it into the Head.
Car runs since Years without Probs and the Valve clearance stays constant.
I run Solid Lifters from a 248.
The engine run very free in the 4000- 5000 Area (if sometimes necessary 😉) and feels like there's no ending.😅

I put some Ford valves in a 263 head that I put together for a fellow. You can see more in this thread:

Back