1994 Buick Century (GM 3.1L 6 cylinder engine) won't start

Yoseft

Hi all,

I've been trying to repair an old Buick. I got it to run for a while, but recently the engine won't start. When I turn the key to the crank position, the starter clicks once, but the engine doesn't engage. After the first attempt, there's no electrical power to the car for the next 10-15 minutes (further crank attempts during that time don't even produce the click).

- I tried the following things, but after each attempt got the same result (one click, no start, and no power for the next 10-15 minutes):
- I replaced the battery and the starter.
- I charged the battery.
- I tried to jump start the car.
- I tested the voltage at the starter's ignition terminal when cranking, it read above 12 volts.
- I tested the voltage between the battery positive terminal and the main starter terminal when cranking, it read 10 Volts then fell to zero after the starter clicked (from what I've read it should read around zero volts during the cranking).
- I tested the voltage between the battery negative terminal and various body ground points (including on the starter), they all read 0 Volts.
- I disconnected the battery positive terminal (I left the negative terminal attached) and all wires from the starter. I then ran a new 4 gauge wire from battery + to the starter's main terminal, and shorted the connection between the starter's ignition terminal and main terminal by hooking a new wire to the ignition terminal and then touching it to the battery + terminal.

I'd appreciate any suggestions on what could be wrong or on what I should try next.

Thanks!

solution

I figured it out, and thought I'd post the solution here in case it will be of help to someone else.

I used a jumper cable to run a new ground from the battery negative terminal to a bolt on the body of the starter. That seemed to fix the problem. I guess that the larger ground cable that's in the car now was bad. I should be able to effect a permanent fix by either replacing the current ground cable or adding a second one.

Back