Can't get '37 started

D

Dan the Man

I am having trouble getting my '37 Special Sedan started. I removed the spark plugs, and they were sparking. They were also wet with gasoline, so I assumed that means that the cylinders are getting fuel. My only guess is that the engine is not turning over fast enough. The car is still a 6-volt system, and the battery is a reguar 6-volt battery from an auto parts store. Do I need a stronger battery, like a deep cycle battery, or should the regular battery be able to turn the engine over fast enough? I am pretty sure that slow cranking is the problem, since we were able to get the car started by pulling it with a truck and popping the clutch. Any suggestions?

How old is the fuel in the tank?? That engine should be able to be started with a crank, so if it turns over at all, it should start. Old gas will not fire, and you should check to see if the timing is right.

The gas is new. We had just put the tank back on the car and filled it up before we cranked it. How do I go about checking the timing?

Back