263 rockerarm rebuild

32special

egge doesnt make a shaft or new arms,id like to hear how some of you rebuild yours.
kanter prob does but there stuff is crap.

any one? perhaps some reviews on kanters rocker arm shaft,if they have one,any good?
I cant be the only one that rebuilds his own rocker arm assembly.

I checked out kanters,they dont have then new,but they do have them listed with no description as to what,but they do charge a core price so I asume they rework them,but how.what exactly do they do?
for all 16 rockers your looking at close to $350-$21 ea rocker..to much money.for that price might as well modify them to change the ratio.

I asume they rework them,but how.what exactly do they do?
Normal practice on rebuilt rocker assemblies is to bore and bush the arms and stands. The valve end of the arm gets a hardened insert which is ground to stock contour. The shaft and adjusting screws are new.

A lot of old timers feel that if the rebuild is done properly, the finished result is "better" than new.

Ray

I looked around the web, and found a place that makes shafting for all kinds of stuff, rocker arm shafts included. I would havto search for it but most of you guys would probly find it faster than I. Go to the source, Egge and Kanter dont make them , they buy em. Heck buy 5 shafts and sell em to get yer money back, almost every rocker shaft I,ve seen has wear. My experience with rocker shafts leads me to believe that the oiling is maybe good enuff for a stock engine [when new] but the old oil would not stand all the heat and turn into muck, then clog up inside the shaft, then the rockers would start mating to the shaft. On any straight 8, if you dont really know your rocker arm assembly is OK I recommend checking it out.

OK I just was looking for that shafting outfit and I got a scary lesson of why our country is in trouble. I found plenty of shafting manufacturers but guess who they were, yep just call 'Wun Hung Lo' and you will get more shafting that you bargained for like in 5000 unit lots! Gads it must have been a only couple years ago that I checked and now cant find any US companies. Well Kanter sells I think repaired shafts for $95 with a rebuildable shaft or add $115 core chrg. There may be outfits that repair or hard chrome them ??? anyway keep looking there may be some out fit doing it.

Last edited:
Doesn't suprise me to find out Mr. Miagge making shafts..what does surprise me is that no one carrys shaftsfor them.
I'm sure there mom n pop shops out there capable of making such part; but it'll prob run you a leg or two.
For nailheads you can order everything new for your assembly, someone look this way please.I'm a student on a budget and rely on doing all my rebuilding.

263 Rocker Shaft Option

The last 263 I redid I turned the rocker shaft around, front-to-back, and put the "worn" side up. All the wear occurs at the bottom of the shaft since that surface is loaded when the lifter pushes on the rocker. By flipping the shaft around front-to-rear and spinning it 180 degrees, you keep the oiling holes in the right place, plus have a new surface for the rockers to ride on. As far as the rockers, all I did was run a hone through them to smooth them out. So not quite as good as a completely rebuilt system, but better than what it was. Note that you do have to drill a new oil feed hole at the front rocker stand in order to feed oil into the shaft, but that's it as far as I remember. The old oiling hole is covered up by the rear shaft stand, so no problem there. That rocker shaft is harder than a whore's heart, so drill carefully.

Contact Pat at brooker50158@outlook.com or call 641-485-6413. Patrick W. Brooks, BCA # 3939
wink.png
. I purchased a NIB OEM rocker arm assembly from him this month. He may have more, I don't know. John

Back