What about tapping EFI injectors into a 364 manifold?

BornBuick

I am wondering if it would be possible to tap and thread into the existing stock cast intake manifolds on 364's so I can attach my electronic injectors into the manifold ports. Now Eldebrock ( bought out Carter AFB), they have a complete EFI with throttle body setup using an aluminum intake manifold. But not for nailhead as far as I can tell. The other way to approach this would be to machine into the head for direct port injection. Just kicking this around.

All I know is with 10:1 compression the octane requirements are 100 proof with a 1957 364, unless we retard our spark. With inferior fuels detonation is a real factor. With EFI I could install a crank sensor and go to coil packs and distributorless operation. This would control my advance/retard and I could map out my fuel / air ranges using sensors. I know DYI offers the ECU and cables so all one would have to do is machine out some aluminum fuel rails.

Anyone have any thoughts or do you know if someone has a aluminum manifold for the 364's?

Thanks in advance
David

Doing anything on a cast iron intake would be difficult at best. Dealing with an aluminum intake would be much more user friendly.

You would need to weld on bosses to each intake runner, and some more smaller ones for bolt holes to hold the injector rail. There are several DIY blank rails on the market for such a project.

I have no idea how efficient this would be, but I saw some 1" thick spacer plates made up for a Nailhead that had provisions for injection. That would be an easier way to incorporate with a stock manifold.

Attachments

• nailhead%20EFI.jpg
    nailhead%20EFI.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 19
Well for the compression factor to get it lower, one could scrub out the head combustion dome and replace pistons with slight lower wrist pin offsets thereby lowering the TDC of piston and increasing more combustion volume. This would most likely get you down to the neighborhood of 9:1 and acceptable to modern crappy gas.

Yes your right, an aluminum intake would be the way to go or someway to modify a Z! corvette injection manifold and throttle body. Saw on on a turbo charged ol Fire Dome 392 Hemi. So this can be done.

Back