nailhead

Jessica

:bana:Hi everybody, just figuring out this website. I have just got my first Buick. 56 Special. Needs lots of effort but I love it. First question, not don't get upset devotees out there, I am thinking of getting rid of the nailhead and just puting in a crate 350 chevy. Aren't nailheads going to be real expensive to rebuild?

Hi Jessica,
Welcome! '56 nailheads are pretty nice engines. I got a '55 myself, in a '55 Super two door hardtop.
I would guess ya could probably get your engine rebuilt for maybe a little less $$ compared to a crate motor.
From what I hear the '56 is even better compared to the '55.
regards,
J.R.

nailhead vs crate

Thanks Guys!

It is part of the learning curve, I like to keep things pretty stock but I am also just trying to thing of cost vs drivability and parts availability.:thumbsup:

Before you cross over to the other side, check and see what all is necessary to make the conversion to another motor. The transmission, torque tube and rear end will all need to be replaced with the motor. Search this site for more information. That being said, there are some real nice non-stock setups out there.

Long Roof, well as far as the rear end and tranny. I do have the rear end but there is no tranny, or radiator or alot of otherthings there at this point. So I have alot to do.
You are right I need to do more homework before I bail, I'd like to do this once and do it right cause this baby needs alot of work.

Dear Jessica,

sounds as if you have quite a task there...

The problem with switching to a different engine is that it cannot be coupled to the Buick transmission. Since yours is missing, this seems no problem. But, every other transmission cannot be installed together with the Buick "torque tube", which is a capsuled driveshaft. If you replace that, too, you will have the same problem with the rear axle: It's designed for a torque-tube driveshaft.:confused: Some guys here have done that conversion, but its a lot of work...

I have not rebuilt my nailhead so far, but from my impression, parts are easy to come by. Still, they are not as cheap as Chevy parts, but reasonable, I would say.
Me personally, I would rebuild the nailhead (if it really needs to be rebuilt), get me a Dynaflow transmission and would enjoy assembly as it is a simple bolt-on operation then... :thumbsup:

Good luck
Michael

Michael, :waving:Thanks for the info. I think I wasn't thinking it thru by the looks of the nailhead I have it looks pretty complete, though not installed. Here in California there is a big show in Pleasanton California next week with a large swap meet. I will be going and gleening as much info and looking through alot of parts (hopefully) and I expect there will be quite a few Buick guys there to talk to. You make alot of sense. I need to look at the big picture.

Well Jessica,

there are two common things you can tell one has just got his first 50s Buick:

1. He fiddles around with the key in the ignition, cause the starter won't engage by turning the key.

2. He goes "Let me just quickly drop the transmission to replace a seal before I join you at the show later today, will ya...?" :bgrin:

I fell for both back then and that despite the fact I already knew that the starter is foot-operated ! Love is blind, I guess... :clonk:

Have fun with your car and may you have that pinch of luck that we all need with everything we do... :thumbsup:

Best regards
Michael

Aint gonna work out good....or at all....

A chebby engine will not , I repeat, will not have enough torque to move that heavy Buick.... the car will be a stone....
you want the most torque that you can get... torque is what actually moves the car, any car... that is why Buick engineers put engines in the cars that had big bunches of torque...
And,,,, if you put a chebby engine in a Buick , you will devalue it considerably... and it will not increase in value every day the way it does with a Buick engine in it.... plus you will have to change out the entire drive train to make it work out...big mistake....
I suggest that you explore all the options for nailhead engines that you have....
Physically all the nailhead engines are similar,,, but not exactly the same ,,, you need to contact Tom Telesco for the info on just where all the bolt holes are...:bgrin::bgrin: because as the early years went by some of the bolt patterns and bell housing patterns changed.... he knows which will fit and which wont.... for instance you cant just take a engine out of a 64 big car and put it in a 55 , say,, because the bolt patterns will be different, even though they look the same....
Do your home work,,, and the guys will work with you....

Hey Doc,
Thanks! I am already in the learning curve. The first thing I have learned is that yes, like you said, Buicks aren't Chevys. I am learning that Buicks aren't like other GM products I have had. I remain enthusiastic if not experienced. :bgrin:

Jessica,,,,

First, before you do any thing at all,, get the shop manuals for your year and model of car.... and then read them.... there should be a chassis service manual, a body shop manual, and sometimes supplimental stuff like factory service bulletins for that model/year.... once you read thru them , then you are not completely in the dark about a particular problem when it comes up, also when you know how some repair or adjustment is supposed to be done , some one else cannot snow you, or use you for a test dummy....:bgrin::bgrin: Knowledge is power,,,,, Shop manuals are expensive, but they will save you far more money,time and effort than they cost...They actually dont cost, they pay.... and folks here and on sites like V8 Buick.com will help you at the drop of a hat... Knowledge is power....:bgrin: In Buicks , especially in the early years, there are little subtle differences in parts that can get you into a bunch of'' Ruhrow'' situations,,, a bolt hole that wont line up, or just aint there, or a manifold that wont go on because the engine is to wide/narrow, Did I say that knowledge is power? ? ?:bgrin::bgrin:
My folks bought a 56 super when I was 14,,[right after the civil war] :bgrin:
and it was one of the best, most fun cars we ever had,,, 2 door coupe, with the ''power pack'' engine,,, 4 barrel carb and dual exhaust from the factory... In fact there is a code with those year cars that most folks dont know about,,, the port holes in the fender,,, if the car has 3 , the car has the ''economy '' engine , 2 barrel carb and low compression,[ 9.5 to 1],,, if the car has 4 holes , the car has the ''power pack'' engine , a 4 barrell carb with high compression [10.5 to 1].... so you can tell what engine a car has without raising the hood,,, and some cars had a optional ''export kit'' that had a hot cam and 2x4 carbs that was available as a ''dealer option''... Did I say, ''knowledge is power''?????:bgrin:

Last edited:
That is some really good info. I will look around for the manuals. I have been hearing about things not lining up.
The 'port' info sounds like some good trivia too.
Sounds like I have alot to learn about my new bundle of joy.:laugh_4:For starters it really sounds like I should stay Buick and even that is going to come with its challenges. It's okay I'm tough, I can make it (talking to myself).
Thanks!!

Listen to the sound of a nailhead vs chev 350!!!
Keep the Nailhead where it belongs.

Stubbe in Sweden.:shifter::waving:

Well, got the shop manual and have been reading. Also, going to a good size show this weekend with my Chevy and will talk to the Buick people and see what they have and take a listen.:wavey:

nailheads

Jessica.I think ayricat want a nailhead to have in some of his cars.
Ask for the price,ask how much work it is to put a chevy in a
buick 52-59.Engine,dynaflow,rearaxle,shocks and so?
Keep your nailhead,if it matching number its good.
But are you build a new custom its allright to put in
another driveline,why not a Mopar.

Stubbe in Sweden.:shifter::thumbsup:

Back