BUICK 350 Engine

§mokiee

im going to buy a 1967 pontiac bonneville...and it has a rebuilt 350in buick engine is the engine and good and wats the torque and HP on it and how can i tell wat year the engine is? ohh and if anyone can can u post how much gas i would get to the mile so gas millage...thx:)

Last edited:
can i tell wat year the engine is?

you can use either the EIN or engine code stampings to ID the year engine. find those using this page:
http://www.buicks.net/shop/reference/engine_ident_where.html

wats the torque and HP on it

in order to find out the stock ratings you'll have to get the two letter engine code in order to determine the year and configuration of the motor. see above.

of course, it's been rebuilt so there's no telling what you've got now. did they put a new cam in? shave the block and heads down? recurve the distributor? convert a 2v carb/intake to a 4v carb/intake?

a rebuilt 350in buick engine is the engine and good

Buicks are very torquey motors compared to a SBC or Ford or what have you and they are also very light, ~450lbs. a SBC with iron heads and intake weighs in around 580lbs.

so for a street car it's excellent. for an all out race car they're hampered by a lack of aftermarket support. just about the only things you can get for them are an aluminum dual plane intake and headers. TA Performance says they have a SP intake and heads in development so hopefully that will change in the next year or two.

ohh and if anyone can can u post how much gas i would get to the mile so gas millage

WAY too many unknown variables. how much does your car weigh? what's the size of your rear tires? how much pressure do you keep in your tires? how tall is your rear differential? does it have an overdrive transmission or are you using a TH350 or TH400? car weight loaded? how aggressive are you on the throttle? do you "look ahead, think ahead" and coast into red lights and stop signs? what modifications, if any, where made on the rebuild?

thank you u did everything but if all that stuff matters on gas millage how do chevy and buick and ford say there can can get like 20 to the gallon if they dnt know how i drive?

how do chevy and buick and ford say there can can get like 20 to the gallon if they dnt know how i drive?

the factory mileage rating is specc'ed off of a standardized EPA highway/city driving simulation. all of the cars are taken through the same course at the same speeds with the same cargo load.

you'll notice that if you take a brand new car home that you don't normally get 'exactly' the same fuel mileage that the car dealer was displaying on the sticker. that's because you're carrying more/less weight, driving the car harder/easier, have more/less stop and go traffic, using higher/lower quality fuel or using a fuel with a higher percentage of ethanol in it ( very bad for fuel mileage ). it varies for everyone, the EPA mileage is just to give you a fairly good expectation.

torque and horsepower for 350

I got the original 1969 Buick catalogue when I bought my 'Lark. Figures for that engine are as follows:

350-2bbl: 230 hp at 4400 rpm and 350 lbs torque at 2400 rpm
4 280 375

Compression for the 2bbl is: 9.0
4 10.25

Straight out of the cheesy old colour advertisement.

Hope this helps.

I would guess you are looking at around 14 to 17 out on the highway with this combo in a well tuned engine and sensible driving habits.......

Back