Another 322 exhaust manifold question

powerage

Hi all
firstly I'll cut a long story short - I have 2 322's and I'm building one good one from the 2. One is the original engine from the car - a 56 Century. The other is the one thats going in the car as it's in far better shape. I have always found the ID number's confusing and never had 100% confirmation of it's exact ID.:clonk: However they both appear to be identical. Except the exhaust manifolds.

The manifold's from the Century are very large and beefy looking, the counterweight sits on the inside and the thermostat on the outside when fitted on the motor.

The manifolds on the good motor are smaller, especially the left, and the counterweight and thermostat are in the reverse position. They also have a different way of fitting to the pipes, they are male, and the Century one's are female (hope that makes sense).

From reading the manual, it says the right manifold is identical on single and dual exhaust cars, the left is not. So maybe the manifolds on the good motor are from a single exhaust car? But the two right ones aren't identical, which makes me worry what this good motor exactly is. :confused:
It had a four barrel intake on it, but I still can't be sure of it's ID. I really hope it's from a 50, 60, 70 series, as it's going in a Century. Were all 50, 60, 70 cars dual exhaust or was that an option?

Anyhow, I'd just go ahead and use the Century manifolds BUT.... the heater valve is frozen up real bad. I could use the good motor's right and the Century's left but..... I'm a little confused! :clonk:
Hope you guys can help!

Just rechecked them, the good motor has round ports but the manifolds on it are rectangular. They must be exhaust manifolds off a later nailhead? The motor was painted yellow and I believe it may have powered something else in its life so other stuff may have found its way on to it...
Might go with trying to fix the valve on the pair of 56 exhausts.....:thumbsup:

If the ports on it are rectangular than someone put post-56 manifolds on it. ALL manifolds pre-57 have round ports. I just bought a nice set off ebay for my 56 special and sort of ran into what you are in so far as the left manifold is different than the one originally on it. The left is exact so I think I ran into a problem regarding the intake as well. I'm going to have to run new exhaust pipes to remedy it.

manifolds for a 322 are really hard to find.

Back