What do you guys think of Spotlights?

I think you should follow your own desires. I see lot's of cars that they look good on. I wouldn't even mind putting them on my '52, but like you haven't decided.:car:

In my humble opinion I think it depends on the THEME of the car. If you have the lowered look, fender skirts, spinner wheel covers etc, then the spots will fit right in.

I think spot lights can also look good on a stock appearing cars of the 30s 40s and early 50s vintage.

I think they look out of place on the more modern cars and the modern look.

As others have said though; Do what looks good to you and what makes you happy.

As I always say " If every artist painted the same picture, the gallery would be boring"

1954-1955 Spotlight-Mirror combinations

I'd like to revive this thread.

I’m an old Lincoln guy (1960 Lincoln Breezeway), but I know the trouble of finding period correct accessories for these old cars – especially genuine pieces.

About 4 years ago, I saw a matching pair of genuine Unity combination spotlights and mirrors for mid-50s Buicks, so I bought them and stored them away. I always figured that I would someday get a mid-50s big Buick, so these would come in handy.

I paid over $120 for them several years ago. They are really cool.They are period correct and are the real thing and not a Chinese aftermarket repro.

They were made specifically for Buick by Unity, and have 3-hole mounting brackets that fit ONLY 1954 and 1955 Buick Special and Century models.(They also fit ALL models of Olds from 1954-56.) They are doubly unique in that they ALSO have rearview mirrors mounted on them – they are not just Unity spotlights.

Well, we’re having to downsize (retirement), and I’m getting rid of parts that have accumulated in my garage attic, and I have this matching pair for sale for $80 plus you pay shipping. So, if you’re interested in this pretty rare set, check out the ad in the 50s Parts section of this forum.

While the spots can be fit to other cars (using different brackets), it’s these specialized mounting brackets that make these unique, and I’d really like someone who has a 54-55 Buick to keep them “in the family” – so I think the price is really reasonable.

I think they are a fairly easy rebuild, especially for guys who know about old cars and work on them.
Thanks.

Last edited:
My Car

My car had 2 of them already when I purchased it about 7 years ago. They are working real ones and are vintage to the vehicle. I like them but, probably wouldn't add them myself. My car also has a chrome trailer hitch so I figure the person who had it originally must have camped. I picture him (or her) pulling a 20 foot Airstream camper. I mean, why take up twenty feet of highway when you can take up forty feet? As a side note, someone recently told me that spotlights are now outlawed in Michigan for non-municipal/commercial vehicles. To date, I've not been bothered by the police about mine.

Back