300 alternator help

cobopguy

Hello,

I a a newbie to the site and just purchased a 64 Skylark with the 300 and 4bbl. The car funds great and am just trying to cleanup some areas in the engine bay. I have purchased a new radiator, hoses, fan, wiring, etc. The guy I bought it from stated that it was an ac car but can clearly tell that the alt bracket is not correct. Does anyone have a picture of a non ac alternator setup or better yet one for sale no matter the condition?

Thanks,

Chris

Thanks Bob. I appreciate the link. I do have the aluminum heads and intake. I will be looking for another alternator as well to ensure it is not an incorrect model.

Appreciate the response.

Bracket, support, Delcotron mounting 1380288

The bracket for non-A/C cars is a part no 1380288. It was widely used on non-A/C Buick V8s and V6s from '64 to '74.

The exceptions are:
Nailhead V8s
High output alternators
Police car applications

Attached is a photo from the '64 shop manual showing the bracket. More pictures can be found on the web by Googling "Buick 1380288" and "GM 1380288"

This part was superceded in 7/75 by a 1250786. That one continued on for several more years on Buick-designed engines in multiple GM divisions.

A place called The Parts Place in DeKalb, IL appears to have reproduction brackets available. Looks like used examples appear on eBay as well.

Attachments

• IMG_1014.jpg
    IMG_1014.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 21
Thanks

Todd,

Thanks for the info. You are a lifesaver! I now know that the bracket being used now is a homemade mount.

Chris

Before 1974, the same bracket was used on all model without AC (except L-6 eng.): GM part #1250786. This bracket supercedes #1380288 (above mentioned). It seems that #1250786 was later itself discontinued and replaced by #25512475. See second post.

My experience with part suppliers and amateur eBay sellers has been underwhelming, to say the least. Most (large) suppliers rely on part descriptions (often wrong); they do not know what they are doing -- caveat emptor.

If you plan to do the restoration by yourself, I would strongly recommend you immediately buy a GM part interchange catalogue on eBay or elsewhere. See e.g. screenshot bellow: It provides you, by year and model, the part number, list price (here $12.25 in 1974 USD) and the part name "Bracket." It also comes with notes. The part catalogue has the same organization as the body and chases maintenance book.

Good luck!

IMG_6034.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back