215 swap out

rat62

any one know a buick engine (not the rover v8 lookin fer somethin bigger) that will bolt into a 62 skylark. lookin fer something where motor mounts will fit no fabracation. trans doesnt matter

215 Swap

I've got a '62 Special and have cammed up the original V-8 to about 230 HP. My opinion for what it's worth is that you will be hard presed to find something else to fit the hole. It is tight with the 215. Anything else will require major engine compartment mods, possibly also front chassis mods for extra clearance.
I suggest you keep it simple. Beef up the 215 and go with a stronger trans and you will be miles ahead in money and time.
Check out www.aluminumv8.com. That's D&D Machining and Mark is an expert regarding the BOPs ( Buick, Olds, Pontiac). He can keep you out of trouble. When he suggests that he build up your 215 for you, go for it. I did much of the engine work locally (Dallas area) and it would have been less expensive to have him do it all and better and more consistant quality.
Good luck!

Hey the 215 is the same as the rover 3.5, 3.9 will bolt up to. or you can use the 4.2, the 4.0 and 4.6 has 4bolt mains. let me know if you need help. :shifter:mgb gt 4.0 EFI supercharged 5speed. Todd

Todd, Is your car posted on the BritishV8 site? I'd like to look at it.

The Rover motors go as high as 5 liters or 300 cu.in. as used in some TVR's. The deck height of the Buick 300 is about 5/8" taller and it needs a different bellhousing. The deck height of the 340 and the 350 is 1-3/16" taller. This means that these engines are a little wider. The 350 would need different exhaust manifolds. The 340, probably the 350 and possibly the 300 uses different engine mounts and the attachment points to the frame may be different. The engine compartment in the Special is smaller than the larger Buicks but it's a good bit bigger than an MGB and we put a 455 in one of those. I don't think it would be very hard to swap in a 300, and if you paint the block silver it takes a very knowledgeable person to spot the difference. The 300 can be built to 350 cu.in.

Oops, you said Skylark. Should be able to fit a 455 in there. Probably can get the frame attachments off another car.

JB

Last edited:
Back