- Buick F-263 Head/Gasket Swaps, effects on compression
- Straight Eight Engine Specifications
-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update

Thread: cast aluminum finned valve cover ?

junk-collector Guest

i know this is a shot in the dark , has anyone ever seen a cast aluminum finned valve cover for a straight eight buick ? i have a 53 263 im putting in a T roadster , with a bendstens transmission adapter , th 350 , an a factory dual carb intake , with split exhaust manifolds , and id like a cool valve cover for it , im almost ready to set up a little home foundry an try casting one , rather buy one ,

bluewhale13 Guest

Junk Collector,
    As far as I know there has never been a aluminum valvecover made for the straight 8. I', currnently in the process of designing and casting a multicarb intake set up for the straight 8, but I'm still a few months away from production on them. If you try it at home remember that your clay mold will shrink roughly 15-30% once you have fired it to make your intial piece for casting. I would love to see someone cast a valvecover for these engines.

junk-collector Guest

hi bluewhale i was thinking of using my original cover for the shape and make a plaster mold of the out side , then add some plaster to the top an cut fins , then press it in a sand mold , an try to melt enough aluminum to do it in one pour , i have to build my furnace first , and decide if i want to tackle this project , also wondered if a 235 L 6 finned cover could be strectched an widened an tig welded back together to work on the L 8 ?

junk-collector Guest

well i looked into my idea of tig welding some existing valve covers together , dont think it will give me the results im looking for , got some books on home casting , and am going to use the fins and tops of my cal custom 289 ford valve covers as models for the top an my buick cover for sides an length dimensions , an a old aluminum beer keg for raw material an try pouring my own , let the adventure begin ,

bluewhale13 Guest

Good luck with your project. Keep us posted as to how it all works out