- Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 47' Super misfire/breaking up at 50mph

Quote Originally Posted by 322bnh View Post
    What carb do you have?
    Still running the stock Stromberg Aerotype AAV-16.

I think I forgot to mention I can recreate the problem just sitting still in neutral. If I hold it at the right RPM, it'll break up just as it does cruising about 50mph.

Quote Originally Posted by agraz400 View Post
    Just got finished replacing all piston rings and 2 burnt exhaust valves.

What burned the valves?
    1979 TRegal

Quote Originally Posted by Utah Blaine View Post
    What burned the valves?
    Not too sure. The exhaust valves were all heavily coked up, but only number 4 and 6 were burned up (both cylinders were putting out about 45 psi compression, the rest were from 80-100). I'd guess I've put less than 1000 miles total on the car since I got it road worthy a couple years ago, so it's possible they were burnt out before I picked the car up. Or maybe it's possible that driving the car with the breaking up is what wiped the valves out. The first compression check I ran on the car was maybe 6 months ago.. which is what lead me to pulling the head and pistons.
    Last edited by agraz400; 11-08-2016 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by agraz400 View Post
    Still running the stock Stromberg Aerotype AAV-16.
    Check that the power piston is not stuck in the up or high vacuum position and that you have the correct valve in the bottom of the bowl. If this system is not working it will lean out under higher demand.
    Also verify that the machine shop that did your valves set the proper guide to stem clearance. If they set it like all the chivvy engines they do, the tighter clearance will start binding when hot.

Quote Originally Posted by 322bnh View Post
    Check that the power piston is not stuck in the up or high vacuum position and that you have the correct valve in the bottom of the bowl. If this system is not working it will lean out under higher demand.
    Also verify that the machine shop that did your valves set the proper guide to stem clearance. If they set it like all the chivvy engines they do, the tighter clearance will start binding when hot.
    Sounds like a good possibility. I'll have to break open the manual and see where in the carb that is exactly. I did notice the "high heat" paint I originally sprayed on the exhaust manifold began turning white.. wonder if that's another indicator of burning lean and hot.
    I replaced the two exhaust valves (and lapped the rest of them) myself. Really just didn't want to dump a ton of money into machine work. Water tested before and after to confirm they're seated with no leak through. Guides had enough slop they should never bind, but not enough for me to be concerned about oil leak through.

couple guesses, acc pump or. I'm too lazy to read. had a vaccum gauge on it? spray manifold, carb base, fuel/ vac pump and vac wiper motor with carb cleaner to check for vac leak.
    52 Special.
    Tin Militia CC

Check the two valve springs for proper tension. May float at said RPM
    1979 TRegal

Very possible the Pertronix is bad. Had almost the same thing happen on many cars installed into. DON'T use them any longer.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

Quote Originally Posted by LONG View Post
    couple guesses, acc pump or. I'm too lazy to read. had a vaccum gauge on it? spray manifold, carb base, fuel/ vac pump and vac wiper motor with carb cleaner to check for vac leak.
    Acc pump appears to be working. The rod and seal assembly were replaced during the rebuild awhile ago. Sprayed down all possible intake/vac leak areas.. no leaks found.
    Quote Originally Posted by Utah Blaine View Post
    Check the two valve springs for proper tension. May float at said RPM
    Valve float did cross my mind. I visually inspected the springs and they looked like they held the same height as all the other ones. I'm not sure how else to check for proper tension.
    Quote Originally Posted by telriv View Post
    Very possible the Pertronix is bad. Had almost the same thing happen on many cars installed into. DON'T use them any longer.
    Part of the reason for me installing the pertronix was in an attempt to fix this issue. I've heard of similar problems with pertronix from a local buick guy that I had rebuild my vacuum advance.. I suppose I could throw the points back on real quick and see if it's any better.