- Buick F-263 Head/Gasket Swaps, effects on compression
- Straight Eight Engine Specifications
-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update

Thread: 263, bronze flakes in oil filter...rocker arm bushings?

263, bronze flakes in oil filter...rocker arm bushings?

The last two times I've had my oil filter out on my '53 Special (with 263), I've noticed some bronze/copper detritus in the oil filter housing/oil filter. My machine shop rebuilt this engine for me 9 years and 12,000 miles ago, and it runs and sounds the same, and the oil pressure hasn't changed in 10 years. I don't remember seeing any silver metal in the filter last time I cut it apart. The only thing not rebuilt on the engine is the used rocker shaft I bought from Wheatbelt at the same time. I disassembled and cleaned it, and it had some wear, but it was better than the one that was in the engine.

My question is, are there rocker bushings in 263s, and are they made of yellow metal? I can't remember, and if this thing were wearing a main, rod, or cam bearing badly enough to be leaving yellow metal in the oil filter, I would think other problems would have manifested themselves over the course of 12,000 miles, but I also can't think of anything yellowish that would be leaving visible residue in the oil filter canister.
    1953 Special Riviera 45R
    1965 Skylark Hardtop 300-4V
    1965 Mustang (in the family since 1968)
    1965 Corvair Monza Convertible
    1965 Dodge Dart 170 Wagon
    1974 Pontiac Firebird Esprit

No bushings in the rockers. The only copper would come from bearing material. One likely place might be the thrust bearing on the main. Can't imagine rods, mains, or cam bearings wearing down that far in so few miles. Not too hard to drop the pan to check it out for peace of mind though. Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Buick Guy View Post
    No bushings in the rockers. The only copper would come from bearing material. One likely place might be the thrust bearing on the main. Can't imagine rods, mains, or cam bearings wearing down that far in so few miles. Not too hard to drop the pan to check it out for peace of mind though. Doug
    That's a drag. I first noticed it two years ago when I pulled the oil filter out, and I only pull the filter every few years. Man, the last thing I want to do is pull that thing out of the car again, but that's the price you pay when you own these things.
    1953 Special Riviera 45R
    1965 Skylark Hardtop 300-4V
    1965 Mustang (in the family since 1968)
    1965 Corvair Monza Convertible
    1965 Dodge Dart 170 Wagon
    1974 Pontiac Firebird Esprit

As Buick Guy said, you need to find where the metal is coming from before something more serious (expensive) happens. The oil pan can be removed without removing the engine. There are even access holes in the front cross member to remove the front oil pan bolts.