263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Score. dual manifolds

New Score. dual manifolds

picked this up about 1 month ago. just need the other carb. guy I bought it from thought he has it somewhere and just needs to locate. this will be a winter project. gonna play with true dual using lake pipes. just need to figure out routing over to the right side.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    52 Special.
    Tin Militia CC

Nice Score, Long.
    I think I still have the both carbs and flapper valve under the rear carb. I can check if you're interested.
    Thanks,
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by freeman View Post
    Nice Score, Long.
    I think I still have the both carbs and flapper valve under the rear carb. I can check if you're interested.
    Thanks,
    Pat
    yes, looks like rear is secondary. PM me. What is in the pic is all I have.
    52 Special.
    Tin Militia CC

Dual carb's issue

Quote Originally Posted by LONG View Post
    picked this up about 1 month ago. just need the other carb. guy I bought it from thought he has it somewhere and just needs to locate. this will be a winter project. gonna play with true dual using lake pipes. just need to figure out routing over to the right side.
    You NEED to use dual exhaust manifold that goes with this. You will have nothing but problems with out the exhaust system that goes with this.

Realize I am late to this thread but I too got my hands on a dual intake manifold......why/what problems without the exhaust manifiolds?

Quote Originally Posted by darcus View Post
    Realize I am late to this thread but I too got my hands on a dual intake manifold......why/what problems without the exhaust manifiolds?
    depends if you are running the carbs progressive or not. also if you plan on running in colder temps
    52 Special.
    Tin Militia CC

Duals

Quote Originally Posted by darcus View Post
    Balanced breathing is imperative. Go in and go out must be balanced. Dual intake won't work. The engine is a air pump. If you provide better breathing in the input and choke the output with the standard exhaust, the engine will run ugly. Having a dual exhaust will provide an easier path for exhaust gasses and sound nice but suffer from a choked inlet of air fuel input. Look at any performance set up. Easy air input and easy exhaust to get the horsepower increase you desire. You have to provide good air flow (air - fuel mixture in and out. One with the other is a waste of money. Straight 8 engines are low rpm tork producer engines. Look at the factory curves of tork and rpm vs horse power. The V8 is a r-m producer and can handle the rpm's to get the greater air flows to get more horsepower. Remember, only 14.5 pounds of air mixes with one pound of fuel. To rich a mixture or to lean a mixture gives you lower proper. E T C. Displacement (cubes ) and compression ratios do more for us. If you want to go fast, instal a nail head V8 with a 750 cfm carb and nice duals an a compression ratio for the girls available today make more sense. Me?, I just installed the 263 in my 1038 coupe. Installed a Borg Warner over drive to keep up with traffic and enjoy the drive. BTW , just hooked up air condition unit cause I live in Florida and it gets hot for 6 months each year. Getting old sucks but it beats taking the ole dirt nap....

Is it safe to say that using a set of custom headers would do the same as using the stock dual manifolds? When it was said that you have to use the dual exhaust system I took it as meaning the dual intake will not work properly without the dual exhaust manifold. I hope that is not true otherwise I maybe selling it! My intent was to use the dual intake with custom headers. If I am understanding correctly this will work because (for better choice of words)....I will have "even in and even out" air flow so to speak. Or would I be better off using a custom intake with headers if I go to dual carbs? From my reading I understand that the 263 engine has air flow issues. I think I have seen other forums/posts/pics etc.. of stock dual intakes and custom headers that were successful. I've even seen multi-carb systems of 3 or more with headers. I like the straight eight because its different/odd/unique. I also dig the nailheads and thought about the swap too but the 263 grew on me as I got it running. The dual carbs would make it that much more cool and unique. Hopefully the dual carbs will give it a bit more pizazz but I don't need much. Does it need to be set up progressively? Going for cool factor as long as it makes a small improvement.

I would love to hear about how the overdrive and 5 speed set up. I just acquired an s-10 3.42 rear end for $75.00 and I am thinking about going to an open driveline. Currently I have a three speed that is having trouble going into 2nd and 3rd when warm. I have a spare 3 speed from a Super that I can use but sounds like having a 4 speed or greater increases the top end and keeps the take off ability. I currently have a 3:6 ratio which is rare for a 51 special. Anybody know what the best combo will bring the best top end increase without affecting take offs? Is the change from 3:6 to 3:42 worth it? Need to make decision on transmission/rear end options and if keeping a 3 speed need to find one that will work both with open driveline and column shift if that is preferable. Would love even more to do it all period correct but parts and cost factor too. Thoughts? Ideas?

You can find the carb numbers for the missing one here:
    http://www.teambuick.com/reference/c...or_numbers.php

Then you may find it on ebay.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

dual exhaust

If you need dual exhaust to run dual carbs howcome Buick used only single exhaust on their '41 cars with dual carbs?