-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update

Thread: Removing Dynaflow. Motor stuck.

Removing Dynaflow. Motor stuck.

I read the post about removing the converter, but I can not turn the crank (yet).

Can I remove the trans without removing the converter?

what can I do?

Removing Dynaflow. Motor stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Squarecat View Post
    I read the post about removing the converter, but I can not turn the crank (yet).

Can I remove the trans without removing the converter?

what can I do?

No, the converter doesn't slide off the transmission like other automatics. a little wd40 or ATF down the spark plug hole will help if it hasn't turned over in a few years. If the engine's seized, it might be a good time to pull both anyways.

The last siezed one we had we needed to break the transmission case with a sledge hammer. It was ugly, but we only wanted the crankshaft and the cylinder head. Doug

on my parts car the engine was seized. I needed to steal a piston. I removed head and soaked the cylinders in trans fluid/ pb blaster.....whatever I could find. then took a wire wheel to the cylinder walls.
    52 Special.
    Tin Militia CC

Thanks guys.

I was afraid that the torque converter wouldn't slide off.

The he head is already off and the slugs are soaking in Marvel Mystery Oil cut with a thinner.

i was ready to beat the bell housing with a hammer, but wasn't sure that I would be able to get between the flex plate and the other part of the trans housing. Now I have just decided to wait it out.

If I remember right the cap on TC need popped off, then there is a detent you have push down while pulling TC off of input shaft. also remember shims and a spring. while you have the dflow out, replace the tc oring and input shaft seal. so not separate the twin stators....the roller cams are a paint to reinstall. I think I put pix up when I had mine apart a few years ago.
    52 Special.
    Tin Militia CC

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by LONG View Post
    If I remember right the cap on TC need popped off, then there is a detent you have push down while pulling TC off of input shaft. also remember shims and a spring. while you have the dflow out, replace the tc oring and input shaft seal. so not separate the twin stators....the roller cams are a paint to reinstall. I think I put pix up when I had mine apart a few years ago.

that plate? Is it on the bottom of the bell, held with 4 bolts?

i turned the trans over, and was amazed that it gave me only a close up view of the TC.

Since i was turning the trans only, I never saw the detent. I will look tonight!

If I'm not going to use the trans, do I need to worry about the roller cams and stuff?

thanks again.

Oops

Quote Originally Posted by Squarecat View Post

that plate? Is it on the bottom of the bell, held with 4 bolts?

i turned the trans over, and was amazed that it gave me only a close up view of the TC.

Since i was turning the trans only, I never saw the detent. I will look tonight!

If I'm not going to use the trans, do I need to worry about the roller cams and stuff?

thanks again.

Looks like i ke i missinderstood about the cap, verses plate.

I am wanting to find a thing to press through that inspection plate that will let me slide the trans off of the TC.

Oh well.

no, the detent is on the converter. the cap is in the center of TC. the engine will need separated. don't touch the stators. look here for example. also, the TC is two piece. if you plan on using the dflow, split the housing and replace the o-ring. http://www.teambuick.com/forums/show...highlight=long
    Attached Images Attached Images
    52 Special.
    Tin Militia CC

Uh.... Huh.

those are definitely some beautiful pics.

but I am not interested in keeping or usin that trans.

It may cost me a pretty penny to adapt it, but that is what I am doing.

Anyone want it?

my zip is 23222