-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update

Thread: Camshaft Question for 320 Buick

Camshaft Question for 320 Buick

Hi, I am new here, so this is my first post.

I own a 1948 Roadmaster Sedanette. It's engine might be beyond hope, as it is pretty well stuck having been parked since 1958. I have been offered another 320 engine, this one removed from a 1948 Flxble bus, which will require changing over several components to make it into a passenger car engine. I can do these things, the distributor is different, exhaust is different, oil pan is different... but all these things are bolt on bits and relatively easy to change over to car specifications.

The puzzler (for me) is this. The 1948 bus engine was rebuilt by some unknown builder years ago and never run after installing new pistons, rings, (later) insert rod bearings, etcetera. The engine also has had hydraulic lifters installed. As near as I can tell, they ought not to be in there... is there any way to tell if the previous mechanic installed hydraulic lifters on top of the original solid camshaft? I don't know of any way to differentiate between a hydraulic and solid cam. Or if there even is a difference. I have been told that you can run solid lifters on a hydraulic cam, but not the other way around... I am not sure if that is true or not. I can imagine that a hydraulic lifter might not work with some radical cam lobe, but frankly, I am sure no bus engine ever came with anything but a mild camshaft.

Does anybody know how to tell if I have a solid or hydraulic camshaft by any method other than examining the (probably incorrect) lifters?

Cam question

You can look at the cam find the part number stamped on the cam. Then look up that number and it will tell you what kind of cam it is. It might even give you the specs.