263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update

Thread: 320 exhaust help

320 exhaust help

Hey all,
    I was wondering what you all run for exhaust setups for the 320? My manifolds are craked, and i was considering making headers but i have never done something so involved before. i was considering buying a sbc make your own hugger header kit, and going from there. As i only have a mig i would tack it all together and have a pro arc weld it nicely. i was curious if anyone here knows an easier way? anyone sell anything for these? any tricks, like using 2 4 banger headers off another car that is spaced the same? thanks all, i am at a lose so any help is appreciated. -Dangileri

building headers -yes

I built my own headers and intake for my 41 buick special / 248 straight 8 . I used hells gates hot rods for flanges (on ebay $42 ish) ) and intake kit ($180.00) , then speedway motors for a chevy block hugger weld up kit ($54.00) , then one additional straight piece (4") I had laying around . I then bent a coat hanger and designed the "Y" pipe and kept the single exhaust . I sold my dual carb set up to fund this set up other wise would have used stock intake and carbs - may have needed to be richened up though because of the flowing exhaust . Yes , I used a mig welder to weld the entire set up (intake and exhaust ) I did purchase a TIG welder and set it up then never got good enough to use it for my build . I have lots of pictures of this process as I built it if in need PM me and can email some of them . Good luck . http://forums.aaca.org/f163/41-buick...er-381596.html

exhaust

Pictures of my set up
    Attached Images Attached Images

more pics

I have some done too .
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Thank you very much, i never knew that hells gate existed. Under 500 to do a header setup sounds great. 2 questions though, could i use the stock intake with that flange? My intake is in perfect shape, id rather not mess around with building my own. And what did you use to cut the pipes so they fit nicely? I have a drill press, chop saw, and air tools, so i could probably manage, but if a new tool would make it easier, well you know. Thanks again for the help, you make it sound not that easy but doable, and not to difficult

I commented before on my laptop but it dodnt seem to go through. My intake is in perfect working order, do you think its worth it to make a new one? Could i just build an exhaust and some support for the intake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk