-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update

Thread: 1950 converted to 12v

1950 converted to 12v

I have read a lot of different posts on here about 12v conversions. Have not found the exact answer to my problem.

Converted to 12v in order to install a TBI in place of the carb. I am happy with that. The problem I have is with the starter. I kept the 6v starter.

Some times when engaging the starter, the bendix gear does not mesh with the flywheel gear, resulting in a bad clashing fo gears. Not good. Letting of the starter switch and retrying usualy works after a few tries. Sounds as if starter is spinning too fast. That makes sense.

Short of changing to a 12v starter, any advice?

Ben

I kept my 6V starter and sourced a 12V solenoid from a newer Buick

I did the same thing on my 52 Roadmaster. Kept the 6V starter and installed a 12V solenoid on it. I also changed from gas pedal to push button start. That was only to accommodate a non-stock carburetor though. It didn't have anything to do with the voltage conversion.

As far as I know, there is no stock 12V starter off of anything that will bolt onto a straight 8 and work. You could probably have a rebuilder make you one as a custom part if you felt it was necessary.

Ray
    Last edited by raycow; 06-09-2014 at 12:50 PM.

I kept stock wiring. installed push button. wired to a ford style mag switch. still using the 6V starter and solenoid. I am using a normal 10si alternator, so I scrapped the reg and relay. using a 12V tractor battery. I think the 54 buick battery is the same thing. could be that a 12V starter solenoid will slow your bendix down to help engage. mine does engage fast, but it works. have you looked at the flywheel teeth? might want to pull the inspection cover and look for marring then file down.
    52 Special.
    Tin Militia CC

12v

Thanks, Guys,

I will try the 12v solenoid route. Trying to keep expenses down. Old car thing is frustrating. While working, time was in short supply. In retirement, finances do get tight. Oh well, will do the best I can, as others have done.

I can get it converted to 12V locally, but will try the solenoid first. Will inspect flywheel teeth at that time. I do fear damaging them if something is not done.

Bobs sells a small high torque starter for the straight eight, but pricey.

Ben

starter

Well, before I could find a 12v solenoid, the bendix drive gave up the ghost. Stripped that sucker! I was able to find a bendix drive, re-assembled the starter, and could NOT convince myself to install it. Sooo, called Tom Telesco. Yep, he can build one for the straight eight. Ordered it. Arrived today, installed and no surprise, it works like a champ.
    THANKS, TOM.

Ben

Good to hear Ben. Glad your satisfied/happy with your purchase. Hears to hoping all goes well with your other endeavors.

Tom T.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"