263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ign coil

ign coil

while installing turn signals and getting the wiring straightened out, I started to smell something getting hot.....it was my ign coil. this is a 52 special, that I converted to 12V. pertronix ign. been driving the machine in its current configuration for over a year. no issues. is the coil supposed to powered with key switched power? I think it is. maybe I'll run through a switch and relay? or oil pressure switch? thoughts?
    52 Special.
    Tin Militia CC

When you convert to a 12v coil, you should have a wire carrying full voltage with the key in the start position ONLY. When the key is released, that power source should break. With the key in the run or ignition position, the coil should get voltage through a resisted wire or resistor and should probably measure more like 6 or 7 volts.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

coil

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    When you convert to a 12v coil, you should have a wire carrying full voltage with the key in the start position ONLY. When the key is released, that power source should break. With the key in the run or ignition position, the coil should get voltage through a resisted wire or resistor and should probably measure more like 6 or 7 volts.
    hmmmm, might explain why I was getting a flooding out or vapor lock type condition. maybe it was not that and a hot coil? I am running the original key switch, I pulled the wires through the firewall from the carb and installed a push button in the dash. using a ford style mag switch for the starter. the 12V coil I used says it does not require a resister. I might just need to move that wire to a different post on the mag.
    52 Special.
    Tin Militia CC

Did you have the key switch on with the engine not running? That could very well cause the coil to heat up. If you need to leave the key on, like for testing purposes, you should disconnect the coil.

Ray

Yeaa,everytime the (we) young people again...., the music must play at all time especiallwhile parking and the player only works with ign is on .

Jenz
    '38 Special Coupe, pimped 263 cui
    ---- LIFTERS CC GERMANY ----

Not all coils need a resistor,may be that is like ray has described ...
    or your coil is because of the age goes to heaven.

Jenz
    '38 Special Coupe, pimped 263 cui
    ---- LIFTERS CC GERMANY ----

coil

Quote Originally Posted by raycow View Post
    Did you have the key switch on with the engine not running? That could very well cause the coil to heat up. If you need to leave the key on, like for testing purposes, you should disconnect the coil.

Ray
    yes, key on to test turn signal operation. Think I will put a spare in the toolbox. thanks for the fast feedback.
    52 Special.
    Tin Militia CC

Just take off the cap and stick a piece of paper between the points. That's a lot easier than having to change the coil.

Ray

ign coil

I don't have points anymore. I think I will wire in a deutsch connector so I can simply unplug when testing.
    52 Special.
    Tin Militia CC

You have pertronix ign. and I believe the instructions require you to run 12 volts to the coil and tells you to never leave the ign. switch on and car not running for long periods of time because the coil could be damaged. You can do a resistance the of the coil to see if it was damaged. HTH
    John
    Guyopel
    The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse always gets the cheese.