-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oil pressure

That is sharp looking! It would be a shame for them to let it fall through the cracks and rot away or get sent to the crusher.
    There's no such thing as too much cam....only not enough engine!

Quote Originally Posted by captbill View Post
    She needs a total make over, paint, engine, tranny etc. If that does not happen then I could only guess what will happen next. I agree, a very, very sad day!!!!!
    It doesn't look like it needs paint! What is the transmission problem? You did not mention why the engine needs to be rebuilt. Does it smoke excessively. (excessive smoke to one is upper cylinder lubrication to another).

I bet a local Buick club (or any other car club) would be happy to do the work for next to nothing just for the experience.

It would be a shame to lose such a great car.

Smile Good news

Just talked to my Boss and they are going to take another look at getting the ol" girl back on the road. Can get an overhaul kit for oil pump for less that $75 and that may sway their decision. Just need to know about the gasket between the pump and block. I've been told "NOT" to use it. Can anyone confirm that? HOORY the "Chief" may be back!!!!!

old girl

captbill, that IS good news. Obviously , a complete rebuild would be nice. I'll bet that dropping the oil pan will be an eye opener. My guess is that the pickup screen on the pump will be plugged. If so, cleaning the screen will make a huge difference. At this point, pulling the oil pump and checking it will be a piece of cake. Chances are good that the gears in the pump are OK. The wear, if any , will be where the gear rubs the bottom plate. And that will not be much. This wear will usually clean up with a little time and a little elbow grease and a good sand paper on a flat, smooth surface.

As for the gasket, if used it should be very thin. Think paper bag thin. I do not remember if I used one. I am not sure what the shop manual shows. Will check tonight.

PICTURES!!! Of the inside of the pan and the pick up screen.

Ben

sweet. its a simple gear pump and gear pumps rarely fail. drop pan and cleanup sump screen like already mentioned. not sure is pump rebuild is needed. If I lived within 100 miles I'd definitely take a look.
    52 Special.
    Tin Militia CC

here is what to expect with the pump. I'd put the gasket between pump and block. not on oval pump cover. this pump will flow if you put it in a bucket of oil and rotate shaft by hand.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    52 Special.
    Tin Militia CC

Smile gasket?

Quote Originally Posted by LONG View Post
    here is what to expect with the pump. I'd put the gasket between pump and block. not on oval pump cover. this pump will flow if you put it in a bucket of oil and rotate shaft by hand.
    I heard a recommendation that no gaskets be used as it may decrease oil pressure.

You NEED to use a gasket between pump & block because of the pressures generated by the pump. As far as the cover goes there is usually no gasket installed there as this is the SUCTION side. A gasket is ONLY NEEDED when the gear lash is insufficient.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

For what it's worth the Salt Cat has never had a gasket between the pump and block. We do shim the relief spring, maybe 1/4 inch. That helps the off idle pressure only. Idle pressure is affected by all of the clearances in the engine. Unless you start in the beginning with that in mind the pump output volume v.s. the total oil system clearance will dictate the final pressure reading. The only way that you can change that is: 1: a larger pump volume, or 2: less overall clearance. My advice is to drive faster. Doug

Drive faster

Quote Originally Posted by Buick Guy View Post
    For what it's worth the Salt Cat has never had a gasket between the pump and block. We do shim the relief spring, maybe 1/4 inch. That helps the off idle pressure only. Idle pressure is affected by all of the clearances in the engine. Unless you start in the beginning with that in mind the pump output volume v.s. the total oil system clearance will dictate the final pressure reading. The only way that you can change that is: 1: a larger pump volume, or 2: less overall clearance. My advice is to drive faster. Doug
    Unfortunately drive faster is not an option for this ol girl. She is a show/parade/DARE car, which dictates, slow/idle speeds. When it's lengthy highway time she's on a trailer, short highway time she's never over 50/55 for any great distance, 20 or less miles. I'll print and add your response for my boss to hash over. Thanks.