-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update

Thread: Dynaflow sound

Dynaflow sound

I have a 1951 buick special with a straight eight and dynaflow it runs good but when I accelerate it sounds like the transmission wines up I'm not sure if this is normal just wondering

The Dynaflow converter slips quite a bit at low road speeds, so it is normal for the engine to rev up when you open the throttle. The Dynaflow itself is not particularly noisy, so if you are hearing something other than engine noise, you might have a converter problem that needs looking into.

Ray

I'm not sure it's a bad sound so I thought I would ask I am just so tired of this car because I keep reading how hard they are to fix I am scared to drive it although it does run good I feel like I am looking for problems that are not there if anybody knows someone that wants a buick special let me know

see how it acts when starting off in low. if you want to start off quicker and have less engine rev, start in low and shift to drive around 35 or so.
    Danny

1952 Buick Special Deluxe Riviera two door hardtop

If you are not familiar with or have not driven a dynaflow car, it will be hard to explain but I will try.

When you put it in Low or reverse, you will get a definite lurch and will be harsh if engine idle is too high. It will accelerate immediately if functioning properly. When starting off in Drive, you should feel it "latch" when it engages and try to crawl. Although it will not accelerate as quickly, it should move out without engine racing up and the torque converter should load the engine enough to hold rpm down to a reasonable speed even when heavy throttle is applied.

The dynaflow has a front and rear pump, if the front one is weak, it may slip taking off in drive but the rear pump should take over at appx 30 mph and operate the transmission if it is ok. To test it to determine if it is slipping in drive, get up to speed of 30 mph in Low and shift into Drive, you should feel it engage. Ease back into throttle and see if rpm holds and car accelerates. Then ease on down to near full throttle and see if it continues to accelerate and hold gear without engine racing. If it holds, Drive and rear pump are OK.

Come to a stop and try taking off in Drive, by now you should be able to tell if Drive is holding or slipping. If engine races taking off you may have a weak front pump. Only pressure tests will tell you for sure.

If you have a distinct whining noise only when driving, it could be a planetary gearset making noise.Try to determine if it is only noisy in Low and Reverse or if in Drive also . If the whining can be heard sitting in Park or Neutral and increases with engine speed, it might be the front pump worn.
    Last edited by TexasJohn55; 10-23-2013 at 05:16 PM.

thanks for your help but i got scared and sold all of my cars this buick ruined my love for cars hopefully i will someday get back into having an old car stick with chevys
    Last edited by anewz; 02-06-2014 at 05:03 PM.