263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: intake/ exhaust manifold wrap

intake/ exhaust manifold wrap

I bet this has already been plowed under but I am going to ask anyway.

I have a 52 special 263 dflow. I eliminated the heat riser with a flange and 90* pipe stock exh manifold. I also have an adapter on the stock intake to accept a 600 cfm edelbrock recently rebuilt. too much I know but the carter I could not get right and I have had this since 98. I have a rebuilt vac/ fuel pump and regulator.

I am getting pops at partial throttle and she wants to load up. on the throttle she sounds and pulls great. I just got it on the road. today I drove down 66 about 10 miles to the next town and went back home. car ran OK but that part throttle issue still there. I let it idle and opened the hood. my fuel filter was not full. vapor-lock?
    oh, and my exh manifold is also warped a little and leaks. I think the intake is sucking air also.

should I wrap both the intake and exhaust manifold? only the exh?

thanks, Andy

Fuel bowl level

My 263 with the stock AC glass bowl fuel filter only runs at about 1/2 full. That is normal. I have observed this on tractors, Wisconsin engines and generators. I can not explain why but they all work that way. Have you checked your vacuum? It should be around 16 or 17 inches. I am continually having trouble with cracked exhaust manifolds and leaking exhaust manifold gaskets. The old manifolds are just giving up. One time my 263 was acting like yours, would run like hell when you had your foot in it but ran terrible on the cruise throttle. I discovered that the wire going into the condenser was almost broken in two entering the condenser. I changed the condenser and that fixed the problem. I suppose that wrapping the exhaust would help eliminate some of the heat under the hood and might even make the passenger compartment cooler. Could not hurt anything that I can think of.

You might want to check your spark plugs or just buy new ones altogether. I suspect, because of your setup, you're not igniting all the fuel going to the carb.

I will check vacuum. she does leak. I can spray ether on the manifold and get the engine to rev. I also have a 6v pertronics. no points. my float is set to 7/16". and rebuilt with a new acc pump also.

cruise throttle issue

went to a cruise in today. about 60 mile round trip. when I got back home I noticed some hissing from my fuel door. I have a Tanks Inc tank and non vented cap. I know on diesel machines we have a vented cap or vented tanks. I think part of my issue is that the fuel pump cannot suck any fuel because there is vacuum in the tank.

That could tax your fuel pump or cave in your fuel tank! I think you need a vented fuel cap!

the cap does have a check in it. think I will get a new one. the fuel pump looks to be seeping a bit.

pulled the intake and the exhaust manifold and dropped both off at the machine shop. guy said $50.

going to wrap them and use the copper gaskets.

Leaking Fuel Pumps

If your fuel pump is leaking gas by all means get it replaced. If the fuel pump is leaking a little engine oil out the drain hole the replacement pump may leak just as bad. My new one does and other people have also indicated theirs also leaks. If it is just a small leak that basically makes a big mess you could just tuck a rag around it and it will catch the oil and you really can not see it. You can drive it 500 miles before you have to change the rag.

manifolds

here are the planed manifolds. looks good. wish I would have pulled the head again and machined it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fixed

machined manifolds and used felpro gaskets.....(waiting on copperclad gaskets). also used loctite 5920. we use this on diesel exhaust manifolds on Sisu engines. also wrapped them both. car is running ACE. was able to lower my rpm and set timing correctly. idles and runs smooth now.
    Attached Images Attached Images