- Buick F-263 Head/Gasket Swaps, effects on compression
- Straight Eight Engine Specifications
-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update

Thread: Can someone identify what this bit is on my straight 8?

Can someone identify what this bit is on my straight 8?

Hi. Just about to add a radiator to the car (because it was missing when I bought it) and when I filled it up, water started pouring from a hole in the engine block. A quick check showed a threaded hole. I have since found a picture on the internet with a pipe stuck in it and wondered what it was for and what connects to the end, and more importantly, can someone tell me what sort of threaded end it is that goes into the block. Many thanks.
    Peter

Nipple,,,,,

Most likely the feed pipe to the cars heater , or the return pipe..... no,,, looks like I see the feed pipe just above the fuel lines, on the thermostat housing.... that would make it the return pipe.... if you trace it out, the passage way should lead into the water pump suction side.....
    I have seen some old cars that had a nipple/grease fitting to grease the water pump bearing.... but it does not look like that is the case, but it could be if there is a passage way drilled to the bearing area.... check it out close... dont take my word for it, I have very little experience with anything older than 1946....
    Last edited by DocModisett; 08-27-2011 at 05:08 AM.

Do you think it might have something to do with the passenger seat heater. These cars have a heater with its own radiator and fan setup under the passenger seat. Mine has long gone. Just wondered if it was part of that? Curious...

im pretty sure that is for the heater ill look in my manual for sure though and get back with you

Thanks. Someone told me it has to do with the transmission cooling on the dynaflow.
    Would be keen to see how that is all connected, as mine has no connections existing. Thanks guys for your help.

Looking at this:
    http://www.teambuick.com/reference/heater_hoses.html

It looks like transmission oil cooler.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Cooler line

On my 52 Buick with defroster, under seat heater and dyna flow transmission. A heater hose is fitted to that pipe and goes directly to the upper port on the transmission cooler. My heater, defroster and transmission cooler all function quite well.

Perfect! Thanks fellas. Explains it all to me now. I have the old transmission cooler here somewhere but she's seen better days, so I'll start hunting for an aftermarket unit methinks.
    I was wondering how that heated seat could ever work because the seats in these cars are padded with some pretty serious material. She must pump out some heat
    Thanks again.
    peter
    this is it then: the yellow lines correspond to the inlets and outlets. Such as:
    Last edited by hugh ness; 08-29-2011 at 01:03 AM.

Under seat heater.

There is a fan and a metal frame and together the heat is directed to the drivers and passenger area and to the back seat area. It was not intended to heat the seats as new cars do. It works quit well.