-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: no spark

well yet another rainy day sitting inside,still have yet to get a decent day to work on the car,i was just wondering though if anyone knows where i can get a fuel pump cover plate,or if it is the same as nailhead or sbc

well put another new set of points and condensers in today and solved the spark problem,unfortunately just as it kicked over the motor froze up,i can still turn it by hand with a breaker bar on the front,not as easy as it turned before though,but the starter wont turn it more than an inch anymore,im confused as to why suddenly it would freeze up,id love some input on this please
    thanks

engine......

DONT TRY TO START IT ANY MORE....BEFORE,,,, you take all the spark plugs out to see if you have a cyl. full of water.....with the symptoms you are describing... you could very well have a cyl . that has leaked full of water... water will not compress... if you try to start it with the starter,,,you can bend a rod...pull the plugs , then rotate it with the starter and see if it rotates/spits water out of the spark plug hole....you may have mechanical engine problems causing the engine to have a no start condition....

i would of never thought of that,its been inside for 12 years until i pulled it out this spring,my first thought yesterday is a bent rod,once again its raining here so i wont be able to pull the plugs for another few days looking at the weather

engine....

If it has water in the cylinder , the longer you wait , the more the damage will be....the corrosion will set in very, very quickly.....

if it turns out there is water in there where do i go from there?...ugh so frustrating

engine......

If there is water in a cyl.... the very least you need to do is pull that head and drop the pan...and pull that piston and rod out, to allow it to dry out..... other wise the damage will be severe....

well i got a break in the weather and pulled the plugs and turned the engine over,i dint see any obvious water at all,seemed like there was a little bit of gasoline at the opening of one cylinder,my big problem with pulling the head and dropping the pan is that i dont have anywhere to work inside,unfortunately for my empty wallet is that im gonna have to have someone check it out i think,hopefully everything works out,i need to get this car on the road by the beginning of august

engine,,,,,,

Ok,,,, while you have the plugs out, run a good compression test on it and record the numbers in each bank in order.....
    you are looking for numbers above a minimum of 90# .....
    The compression test will tell you if a engine can be made to run or not....
    Put the compression gage in each plug hole and then turn the engine with the starter untill it ''hits'' 5 times and write the number down on paper where it goes....in its place.
    We will find out if this puppy can be made to run....