- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update

Thread: Newbie with a problem

Newbie with a problem

hi folks,

My name is Gio im from the Netherlands.
    I'm new on this forum.
    Recantly im workin on a buick roadmaster dynaflow from 1949.

The car belongs to a dad from a friend of mine.
    We're now sanding the body for paintin the parts that can come of the car we going to sandblast them.
    We're thinkin of giving the car a two tone pain a brown roof and the original white colored body.
    The interior is in excelent condition only the needle of the speed gauge fell of so thats a thing i need to fix in the future.

My problem is that the car starts realy difficult the engine turns realy slow when the startmotor turns it.(dont know if it supposed to be this way)
    Also when we go for a drive sometimes the engine begins to pop and offen it falls out..(just like popcorn)
    If we put in into nutural the popping is less..
    But when we put it into drive and gas it then the engine turns off
    Then we need to jump start it to go on again..
    Were going to buy a new battery cause i think this is one of the problems.(Replaced the battery and the buick drives like new!!)
    Also im going to check the cables for mallfunctions and the sparkplugs and sparkplug cables.
    I allready cleaned the caburator this seemed to help for a while but the problems with the poppin have come back..
    Does anyone had the same problems with a roadmaster?
    And knows the answer of this problem?

As i promised here are some pictures of the work in progres..enjoy..

The hood sandblasted no rust damage

The trunk had some little damage in the right corner some little holes

The front fenders need some work but not that much of a deal

The back fenders are also hard and dont need much work

Me cleaning the fender from sand and dust

The air compresor of the paintbrush was broken so i needed to spray the zincspray out of the can

Its the man from mars who magicly removed the paint from the fenders

I forgot to make a picture of the grill that is in a bad shape looks like it has broken in the middel some time en somebody weld it realy bad hope
    i can fix it propertly

For so far the update..
    The body is already in the primer..
    The doors i need to stripp but its to cold outside in the garage so im gonna wait till its beter wheater.
    I Also replaced the exhaust manifold gasket and cleaned the caburator.
    I didnt do to much on the engine cause i am planning on to do that next year.
    I only got a problem with the windshield wiper one side is workin realy slow and the other side got stuck afster a hard snap so i need to check it.
    anybody got some tips to remove the windshield wipers quik?

Today the sun shined so it was time to work on the buick made some pictures..
    I'd put the side fenders en the hood in place.
    Some little isseus happend when i mounted it.
    First a nut broke on the hinches of the hood so first had to fix that with a ring and a nut.
    Second thing was that i broke the sping of the hood mechanism replaced it with two new ones.
    Also need to adjust the hinces of the hood but thats a worry for later cause i need to primer the car and sand it..

I Also removed the doors today for sanding..
    The front doors came of with no problem but the backdoors where realy hard to get off.
    The clambs from the window handles where very dificult to get out(because i dont have the special tool jus a screw driver

I also put a new battery in the buick because the old one blew up cause we tried to start the buick with a 12volt battery was lucky that the battery didnt blew up in my face..
    The buick now starts imediantly without hesitating.
    After al this work i called it a day.
    More foto's are coming this week caus the whole week its good wheater.

Greetz from the netherlands!!
    Last edited by NetherlandsRoadmaster49; 04-08-2011 at 11:35 AM.

Newbie with a problem

Let's remember that we are dealing with just 6 volts. They worked fine when everything was new.

The battery cables should be huge. As big as your thumb like an arc welding cable. All contacts bright and shiney.

Spark plugs should be non resistor types and the spark plug wires should be copper wire, not the type used on todays cars. Plugs use a small gap. .022-.025 works well.

Have you adjusted the tappets to .015 when hot, just off the road, or .016-.017 if just warmed up. I am assuming the lifters are solid and not hydraulic. I think if a Dyna Flow is early production the first 5,000 units the lifters are adjustable, if after that they are hydraulic and subject to adjustments used on early hydraulics.

The battery is a long narrow one like used in a fork lift, and some farm units. It is mounted under the hood on the passenger side against the inner fender.
    Last edited by Straight Eight; 10-26-2010 at 08:42 AM.

Thank you straight eight for the quik reaction.

I think that they put a different battery in the car so im going to look for the original size 6volt..

Tomorow i'm going back to the garage so im gonna check the things you said..
    And will post the results back on teambuick.

Can anyone help me with information of the window washer system i have the mechanic book of the buick but it only shows the possition not how to repare it i can feel it when ik at the bottom of the dash but there no room for me to see it to repare it does anyone know what to take out for more room?

update

Today i sanded the doors and sprayed the two left doors.
    Here is the result.

The sideskirts need to be cut and a new one needs to be welded in place
    thats why they arent sanded.

Does anybody have a tip for lubricating and adjust the window washer system?
    It would be great if anybody could help me with that cause i dont want to take the whole dashboard out!

how the roadmaster was

I came up with some pictures of the roadmaster a couple of years ago.

its been a while ago but the buick is now ready for paint..
    today were gonna bring the roadie to the painter..
    the only thing is we dont know what collor we gonna paint it..
    were thinkin about the original white because were gonna use the car for weddings etc
    my search on the internet was a failure to find the original color codes of a buick 49 somebody got tips?

i also replaced the gasoline filter before the vacuum pump cause we had a problem with no gasoline in the cabrateur..
    we installed a new battery and new gaskets for the intake en exhaust manifold..
    i replaced the wiring on the back site for the lighting..
    the buick is now compleetly stript only the interior is intact
    i will posed some pictures soon because the old ones have expired..

Newbie with a problem

For some reason, non of the pictures are coming thru just a bunch of "dutch"

Last edited by Straight Eight; 12-03-2012 at 05:28 AM.

I wonder if you are using the correct code from the photo supplier?
    I see the default setting of albums from them is "Private", perhaps your album/picture is marked private?

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Valve adjustment

If in fact your engine is a 49 or newer, it has hydraulic lifters. The late 48's had hydraulic lifters with the Dynaflow transmissions.
    Buick Roadmaster
    Model 76S
    Anthony
    aka Straight80