263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update

Thread: 320 Straight 8 Speedster

320 Straight 8 Speedster

Hello all I am new to Buick Straight 8's and this board

I am currently in the process of building my dream car a replica of a 1936 Auburn Speedster

In my mind a car with a long nose needs a long engine

I have chosen the 320 Buick straight 8

I currently have a 1938 complete engine that I am going to rebuild and couple to a 6 speed T56 Tremec transmission

I have both units already and am ready to begin disassembly

My first question how do I make power from this?

There has to be people here that have done this and can input, second how tough are these bottom ends? Can these be supercharged?

I have a pretty slick Idea for twin manifolds that can either accept 2 small Holley 4 barrels or a pair of holey 2 barrels

Custom headers look like they would be a simple fab job

I am the kind of guy that plans 20 times and builds once if you know what I mean

I am in need of some parts like a fuel pump, is there a good choice aftermarket or newer model that fits other than the old BuicK model?

If there is anyone out there that has built power from these and dosent mind a call I am faster at talking than typing!

Any way this should be one cool ride when it is complete

Thanks in advance

Dave

Nice project, Dave. I built a performance 1937 248 cubic inch straight 8 several years ago and the same things should apply to your 320. I had my block line bored and the bellhousing machined to fit a T5 transmission. It was also bored .030 over and fitted with 8:1 pistons. The block was decked about .125 inch and the head shaved a like amount. Actual compression was about 9:1 (estimated).

The biggest performance improvement was from a reground cam with increased lift and duration. I don't remember the exact numbers but the lift was somewhere near 0.450 int/ex. The shop that did the work is in FL and specialized in regrinding vintage cams for performance. I also found a dual carb intake which also had dual exhaust that was available for the 248 for early 1940s Buicks. Maybe they offered them for the 320 as well? Fabricating something would be easy enough. Maybe a 4 carb side draft set-up?

Other things to consider are converting to shell type con rod bearings (I found a later model donor engine for $100 with factory rods). I think 1949 and later engines have these. It would be best to start with a later model engine if possible. I also used a hydraulic clutch (aftermarket throwout bearing/slave cyl combo). Converting to a serpentine belt is cool too, but you have to use an additional idler pulley because you can't find a reverse water pump.

I am considering a early 50's Buick rat rod with a modded straight eight similar to what I have done before. BTW, the engine listed above was sold seperately from the car by a subsequent owner for use in a vintage speed boat because the buyer of the car wanted to put a BBC in it.

This can be a fun project but it isn't cheap to get a lot more HP from these engines. Expect to spend about $6K or more in machine work and head porting, etc.