263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: straigt 8 to SBC conversion?

Quote Originally Posted by 41buickcompoundcarb View Post
    There is a guy up here in michigan that took a 39 buick convertable original and restored the entire thing then put in a 78 camaro inline 6 cylinder with the auto trans and the rear axle too . shocked me ...
    Why?

Some people are scared of the old engines ,think that a newer engine is more reliable , but like I said it shocked me too!

Over the years (I've been fooling around with old cars since I got my drivers' license in '55) I've been asked several times (regardless of how old the car is that I happen to be driving at the time) how can I trust a car 'that old' not to break down. I always tell them that when those 'old cars' were new, they were designed to be reliable transportation, just like new cars today. The onlyl thing to worry about is parts availability; you solve that by taking along extra points, condensor etc. and get the other stuff rebuilt or replaced before you leave the house. Nothing to it.

well, those of us that were driving these oldies when they were used or even new, don,t have the intimidation of driving them now. Plus we may have more skills that we got by being from that era. We learned things like using an orange or lemon etc, from the picnic cooler, cut in half and squashed on top of a vaporlocked fuel pump, or even using pepper,n eggs to stop radiator leak, filing points with a nailclipper file, and using match cover for feeler gauge. we carried extra water in the desert water bag hung on the bumper, using a dime for a screwdriver, always checking the spare tire, and even patches for a flat. I remember my Dad and uncles telling how they did this stuff and I even used some of that knowledge. but the engines were usually dependable, and parts were available all over.
    Last edited by 39CENT; 08-27-2010 at 01:05 PM.

Yes

I agree ,I opened my eyes in 2000 when I purchased my first old (pre 65) car .My 41 buick has changed my reckless driver of muscle cars to enjoying the surroundings and cruising down the road with average people turning around and looking . I love the old antique cars / the way they start (barley sometimes) - oil pressure etc at the shows with those 150,000 show cars - mine gets as many looks being left alone and driven by me and my family . Good luck to all with the antiques

I am doing a SBC conversion as well....

I have a 40 Super and I am taking the old 8 out and dropping a SBC with a turbo 400 trans. I have a question though does anyone know what rear ends are compatible to my car? It's a 4 door I believe 50 series. Thanks.

You are dropping an SBC? Hopefully it will be damaged enough to convince you to keep the straight 8. This is not the right forum to be talking about replacing straight 8's with small block chevies.

Good call, You know anywhere I can get a straight eight that's running for under a $1,000? Believe me I wanna keep my straight eight but it's gonna cost $3000 to $5,000 to rebuild it and that's not including the trans. I just don't have the money to dump into this 4 door super.

This kind of conversion is great .
    This allowed me to get a 263 from a perfect running 1938 . ( Never understood why the 38 had a 263 , anyway )
    The owner decided to change the rebuilt engine for a SBC , a Ranger 2002 front and rear .
    So I had all the spare parts for 800 $ :P

At least , use an Oldsmobile engine , Or a Pontiac ..

straight 8,s vs modern engines

Quote Originally Posted by 41buickcompoundcarb View Post
    There is a guy up here in michigan that took a 39 buick convertable original and restored the entire thing then put in a 78 camaro inline 6 cylinder with the auto trans and the rear axle too . shocked me ...
    Well being an inline its a lot closer than a sbc. So here,s comparing a Camaro inline 6 or a modern V8 to a 263 Buick straight 8. They both have, overhead valves,hydaulic lifters, pressurized cooling,full pressure oiling,insert bearings,carburetor,carb heat,same type of distributor, use an automatic transmission actually they are almost identiical engineering wise. I think they have about the same horspower when compared to the basic engines when they were introduced. I believe that using the same rear end gearing they would both have the same longevity. The basic difference is the arrangement and amount of cylinders. The one thing about Buicks of that era makes a difference is the straight 8 engine, it just makes the car. If thats changed it just becomes another street rod.
    Last edited by 39CENT; 10-10-2010 at 08:15 AM.