-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update

Thread: 1951 Block Cracked?

1951 Block Cracked?

Just took my new '51 out for a spin, came back hot and spewing steam from crankcase vent pipe. Figured maybe (hopefully) head gasket...checked radiator, couldn't see any coolant so I added some and it just comes pouring out the crank vent! Engine still runs, had to move it out of the way in my driveway. Going to drain the oil pan on Sunday...have the feeling I'll see green before black.

Doesn't sound good, but...

It doesn't sound like a head gasket, but it is possible. I think it is more likely to be a cracked head or block, as you suspect. But even if it is a cracked block, all is not lost. My 1950 248 block had a long crack on the side of the block a couple of inches below the deck on the driver's side. My dad was a welder, and he had me wire-brush the whole area, then drill a small hole at either end of the crack to prevent it from 'running'. Then he used an arc welder to fix it. He used (I believe, from the color) a brass-type rod, and started an inch from the end and welded back to the drilled hole, then skipped an inch and welded back to the first weld. He called it "step-welding", and it worked great.

Yeah the water was pouring out the crankcase pipe when I was filling the radiator, although no chocolate milk looking oil on the dipstick or oil breather like my last head gasket issue...would've loved it to have been a cracked head, have a '52 head in the basement. I have an extra '52 engine I was planning on building up this winter anyhow, but was going to drive the car around for a while first and get her painted and do the upholstery, then get the chrome plated in the spring. Guess not! Got myself a nice lawn ornament for a while though.
    Last edited by krinkov58; 07-29-2010 at 04:37 PM. Reason: photo

Could still be a head gasket. There is not a lot of block surface between the fire ring on the gasket and the side of the block that opens into the lifter area. If I remember right the crankcase vent is a road draft tube that mounts to the side cover. Coolant could be leaking out between the head and block and going down on the lifters and out the road draft tube. I seem to recall that one of the performance guys saying that that was a common place for the head gaskets to leak. Take the side cover off, and start pouring coolant into the radiator and look for where it comes out. If the leak is as bad as you say it shouldn't be too hard to find where it's coming from.

Drained the oil and coolant last night finally, first thing I noticed was that the drain **** between the distributor and serial number boss was missing, there was just a hollow threaded stud. Maybe it blew off?! Second, there was no coolant in the oil at all, nor vice versa. Pulled the head this morning--head gasket looks beautiful, almost new. ***?
    There's definitely been some recent engine work done to this car, valves and springs are pristine, head has no sludge anywhere, piston #2 is a replacement.

Unhappy

Ah geez, figured out the problem. After after replacing the head gasket and filling the radiator back up with water while the engine was cold, I found that one of the trans cooling lines had split and hidden itself (with deliberate and calculated trickery, I suspect) right next to the draft tube, so when steam was blowing out it looked exactly like it was coming from the draft tube from the angle I was viewing. Duh! Water was condensing on the tube from the steam and dripping from the end, aiding the deception.
    On a much less humorous note, one of the head bolts sheared off on me while I was torquing it, 70lbs, snapped like a carrot about 4 threads down. Should be fun getting that sucka out, any ideas?

straight 8 broken head bolt

you may be able to retrieve the remaining bolt using a left hand drill and easy out???? It may not be stuck as it shouldnt be bottomed out. I suggest you get new bolts and retorq the head.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5127433_use-easy-outs.html
    Last edited by 39CENT; 08-28-2010 at 06:47 PM.

Nah it's bottomed out, second bolt in the tightening sequence on the pushrod side. When I felt it start to go I pulled off the wrench and tried to back it out slow, bolt head was flush.