-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update

Thread: 263 manifold gasket

263 manifold gasket

I have 1952 Super with 263 in it. I keep having exaust leak problems with it. I have had the manifold machined and when I put it together and it's fine for a time then the gasket starts leaking. Is there some one who makes a copper gasket for a 263. I have tried the Cars Inc. gasket but it's not sold copper and the center burnt out and it leaked. Can any one help me?
    thanks Roger C.

I think this is the nature of the beast on these...I replace mine once every 1-2 years, whether it's composition or copper. I've heard of others who have to do the same thing. Anyone who tells you they don't is a genius of exhaust system science or doesn't drive the thing much. I drive mine about 1500 miles a year or so. They didn't originally have exhaust gaskets, just intakes, and the exhaust manifold was metal to metal with an oil/graphite mix on it. The exhaust manifold expands at a different rate than the intake and really does a job on the gasket. The best thing you can do is torque the manifold like the shop manual recommends (there is a copy of the shop manual for '52s on this site) and retorque it cold after a week or two of driving. Good luck!
    1953 Special Riviera 45R
    1965 Skylark Hardtop 300-4V
    1965 Mustang (in the family since 1968)
    1965 Corvair Monza Convertible
    1965 Dodge Dart 170 Wagon
    1974 Pontiac Firebird Esprit

straight 8 exhaust manifold

I googled this problem and found this reply in another forum about manifold gaskets Something I had heard about long ago.

"My '50 Model 52, 263 was doing the same thing including the copper gaskets wrinkling up between ports. I torqued them as above several times but they eventually wrinkled over 3/8" partially blocking #7 exhaust. Then I re-read the Buick repair manual several times and it said there are no gaskets on the exhaust manifold. I also have the 1950 Buick Service Bulletin and it says there are no gaskets on the exhaust manifold. Both say to use a mixture of graphite and oil, bolt it right to the head and follow torque instructions. In my case I cut out the intake portions of the non-copper multiple gasket and used those on the intake only. The mounting to the preheater section is adjustable so the intake & exhaust manifolds can seal to slightly separate levels on the head. I have seen an old set of 1940 replacement exhaust gaskets and they were 8 individual rings with inside ridges to hold them on the manifold as you install. I don't think that long manifold was ever supposed to share a common gasket with the intake even though they are sold that way. They just move around at different rates causing the wrinkling. Those little saddles on mine under the mounting bolts have 1/16" clear marks on the insides so that manifold does expand & contract quite a bit. Hope this helps. My dad had a '50 Super for 7 years and I don't remember him ever doing anything to the manifolds."

I would agree that the exhaust manifold would expand way more than the head or intake.
    Last edited by 39CENT; 07-13-2010 at 09:36 AM.

263 manifold gasket

There is a lot to be said about setting the manifold in gaskets that have been lubricated with copper lubricant which will allow them to slip.

If there has ever been a gasket failure or to even hope to use a metal to metal seal, you must resurface the manifolds. Sometimes someone who was upset with the failure has tightened the manifolds so tight over gaskets that they have warped the profile between the bolt holes across the ports!

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

my manifold has gone on milling machine.
    I understand this correctly,only oil-graphite is better as a copper seal??
    before

after plane