- Straight Eight Engine Specifications
-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Converted to 12 Volt and Found a 12 Volt starter...

Converted to 12 Volt and Found a 12 Volt starter...

I converted my 40' buick super to a 12 Volt system, well I should say I am in the process. I added an ignitor pointless ignition, and their Flamethrower coil. The engine is believed to be original and right now I am just trying to get the engine started. But it does turn freely and i was told the last time it ran was November 2009.

I have most of the components off of the engine, generator, belt, water pump, radiator, and all of the wires have been removed from the car. The only components on the engine are the coil, spark plugs, distributor, fuel pump, carb, and starter. I have been turning the engine over from a push button that I wired in just to test the engine. I just want to see if it will fire, then I am going to remove it and go from there.

I am removing the old 6 volt starter to replace it with a IMI performance products 12 volt starter, that I got from Bobs Automobilia. My question is about the wiring. I am not very good with wiring and the new starter didn't come with a diagram (not sure that would have shown me how to wire in a push button anyhow), but my question is how do I wire in the push button to get the new starter moving??

The new starter has one positive post and one black wire that plugs in to the starter and is cutoff at the other end. Not really sure off the top of my head how to wire in the push button. Thanks for your help!!

Also, I was wondering if anyone has any pointers on what I could use to help clean the valve train it is completely sludged up...?
    Last edited by RustyBuick; 06-01-2010 at 09:04 PM.

Exclamation Re starter hook up

The big stud is the bat cable, and the small black wire goes to the start button

Ground

Theres no ground wire off of that starter?

The engine block is the ground. That's where most of the negative battery cables mount to. If you want to do a good job of cleaning the rocker set up, you will have to completely disassemble the unit and have all the parts hot tanked or soaked in something like carburetor cleaner to get them clean. To do a good job you should probably pull the plugs out of the ends of the shaft so you can get all the junk out of the inside of that too. Sludge on the surface of the rockers will not hurt anything. As long as oil can still get through the shaft and to the rockers to provide the required lubrication you might just leave it alone until you decide to do the whole engine. Trying to get this stuff scraped off will just put a bunch of the stuff you knock loose down into the oil pan where it can really start to plug things up.

Valve train sludge

Starter works great thanks for the wiring tip! I was turning the engine over today and It sounded like it wanted to start a few times. It even backfired a few times. But it never actually idled. After trying to start it a few times I noticed a tiny bit of smoke coming from the valve cover and oil cap area. Any ideas what that may be from??

There is no visible oil in the valve train. Should there be oil pumping up there even though the engine didn't fire? The smoke bothered me so I stopped turning it over.

I think i'm going to take off the pan to examine the oil pump, change oil filter, and blow the lines going to the valve train from the oil filter cannister. But before I do all of this I just wanted to confirm my suspicion that oil should be moving up to the top even when the engine is turning over but not starting. I did hook up an after market oil pressure gauge with the clear line tube and while turning over I noticed the oil moving up the line towards the gauge, but I wasn't sure if that means the pump is working fine or not.

Thanks again everyone!!

One more question, I think my manual calls for 20 weight oil, is that okay to put in there, I live in CA where it's pretty warm most of the year. Any specific brand to recommend?

Smile Smoke em if u got em

The smoke was probley just blow by pAst the rings. Pull number one plug and bump eng over till it blows finger out of hole pull cap and make sure rotor is pointed at number one. Line up timing mark just before top dead center, hook up test light to pos touch lite to nut on points and rotate dist just till lite goes out and it should crank

I am new here and just ran across your posting and instantly registered.

I have lots of questing(will start another post for that though)

can you tell me where you got the 12 volt starter for your 40 buick?
    also what 8 is it? the 320?

I have a 40 Buick limited that was handed down to me about 10 years ago from my grandfather. which was given to him from his father- my great grandfather.
    ( i don't mean to hijack but i am looking at getting my going also)

thanks
    ken

Starter

Check back a few threads for info on starter

40 Buick

I got the starter from bobs automobilia, they have everything you need for the most part. But the new 12 volt starters for these old 8's are cool man. Here is a link. http://www.bobsautomobilia.com/

My engine is a 248 I believe.

Rusty Buick, I have those starters in stock. A little more than Bob's.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"