-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update

Thread: Looking for help,320 Rods

Looking for help,320 Rods

OK guys, I posted a few weeks ago about welding the pinch area on the 320 rods, and I want to thank you for your advice. And have decided to go ahead with my plan and convert to floating pins, by welding the notch shut. Now, I would rather not use the rods that I am racing because they have already been polished, peened, balanced and proven. (in case this project goes to ****)

At issue is the fact that only have six spare rods and need at least two more.................Anyone out there got any they would part with or know of where I can find any.

Thanking you guys in advance, Dale
    saltracer32@aol.com

straight 8

Dale,
    As I said in my pm, I don't have any old rods. I think that Egge's has recon. rods. Maybe a little pricey, but a source. I will get ahold of you if I come across any. Wish I could help.
    Doug

looking for help

Dale, do you know Don Wheeler in Colorado? He might have some. We don't have any that we want to part with.

Quote Originally Posted by GH View Post
    Dale, do you know Don Wheeler in Colorado? He might have some. We don't have any that we want to part with.
    GARY.............I know Don, but do not have anyway to reach him, went thur SCTA but they would not give me any information. I am going to email "Duke" to see if he has a contact for Don.

straight 8

Dale,
    I found two 320 rods if you still need them. They were in a snowbank container out back [51 Buick Special] . Send me shipping info. if you still need them. Doug

Dale, You may want to be a little carefull welding on the rods. All the str8 rods have a heat treat on them. Just what, I don't know. Prior to 1950-ish, all the rods rockwell about the same, after that, Buick started "monkeying" around with not only the heat treat but the alloy as well. So, welding them may anneal them or something else entirely. You may have to re-heat treat. But since we don't know what we are dealing with, that may be hard. The main problem I've found with the pinch type small end, is actually with the bolt. What appears to happen is; under a lot of load, the pin forces down, stretching the bolt. It can work right out. The pin goes sideways, and will really chew up the wall. ARP has a very nice flanged chrome-moly bolt, use that. Spot face the bolt pad, dead square. Don't use the washer. I put a little locktite on the threads. Never had a problem since. But if you go ahead and weld, keep us posted, I'm really intrested! alleycat