263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update

Thread: 4 - 1's manifold - 248

4 - 1's manifold - 248

Gentlemen:

I know that has been addressed here over and over so forgive me if I'm boring you. Anyway, my '50 248 will soon need to come out and I'm thinking about what to do. I've always liked the look of carbs (who doesn't) and have been advised that a good setup for multiple carbs would be 4 - Carter W1 one barrels from '39 - '40 Chevys. Dinky little things but 4 in a row would look nice and I like the nostalgic side as well. I think 4 two's would be too much for this engine and I really want to see 4 sitting there. Anyway, I would appreciate some feedback on this type of set up.

Thanks!

Gary
    ------
    1950 Special Model 43 - "Yoda"
    1948 De Soto S11 - "Bobo"

Four carbs on a buick

I have built a 4 carb setup for my modified 320 using Carter-Weber carbs (Holly-Weber's are similar). The nice thing about them is they are 2 barrel progressives so that other than full throttle, you are running on just the 4 barrels. Check the post in this section under "three duce intakes for Buick" and you will find some pictures of my setup near the end of the post. If you are interested, I can send you some pictures that show the construction details of the manifold. I built mine out of steel but if you have it made for you or are a good aluminum welder...that would be even better. There are some pictures elsewhare in this forum of the engine with more details but I am not sure where they are. I think if you look in the thread "anything new for straight 8 hot rodders" at post #256 or so, the pictures and more information on the carbs is there.
    Last edited by presten; 12-13-2009 at 10:09 PM.

Presten, I saw your setup. Looks great. Do you have it running yet?

Gary
    ------
    1950 Special Model 43 - "Yoda"
    1948 De Soto S11 - "Bobo"

Yes, I have about 6 hours on the engine...all in a test stand. It seems to run very well, smooth and with terrific off-idle snap and acceleration. No stumble or hickup at all when the throttle is hit hard right off of idle. I am working on the car at this time and will not have it completed for a couple of months at best. When the car is done, the engine will go back in and we shall see just how it does. There is an excellent chassis dyno about 20 miles from me and I will make a run on it after the engine is well broken in. I will keep the forum posted.

Cool

Why do you ----------- want to mess around with something that isn't broken , Stick with the stock factory engineered fuel systom and MOVE ON, I agree the exahaust can use a little help, so I will give in and agree on a set of ZOOMIES. Should do the thick. Then why not bump the compression up a little bit? That's cheap enough. With that kind of efficentcy lets go with a few more cubic's , Here I see we need Esky to step in with a mild roller CAM & Lifters, SPRINGS and JUMBO VALVES. The right TIRES from LES SCHWAB for traction and O'YA GOTA have WHEELS, no biggie. Wait...the gear ratio is not exactly right . I know, We set up A RING & PINYON with a POSI. Now were home free Ready Set Go , except if a Schaffer Clutch and FLY WHEEL works as good as expected, the only thing else would be the ultiment TREMEC 6 speed Trains. Now! that will cement the deal. Wait once again always something ,It's that IGNITION how about a MAG? --------DAMN we're back to the 4 DEUCES. 2GC's? PRESTON see what you started !!!!!!
    MAKE THE BEST OF THE 4 HOLLY DAYS
    Last edited by Proost; 01-08-2010 at 07:15 AM.

Now running 3 Deuces!

The 4 carb setup that I made is now for sale since with air cleaners on the carbs, it was a little too long and contacted the firewall. It will work just fine in another installation where there is more room. I now have built a 3 carb setup...this time out of aluminum and am running it in the car with excellent results.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Trying to find intake on eBay

Preston looked all thru Buick intake on eBay tring to find your intake ease post a link to the page it's on thanks Swoosh

Buick 4 carb intake manifold

Thanks for letting me know. After looking at the listing I realized that I had made the title too complex which makes finding it too hard! It is now listed very simply as: "Buick Intake manifold- 320 cu.in. Straight 8" Give that a try and see how it works. In fact, I think that just Buick Intake Manifold will bring it up along with a bunch of V-8 stuff.
    Thanks,
    Earle