263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wiper cables

wiper cables

I`m new to this site and new to my 51 Buick.Although I only had it for a month I did manage to replace and fix a few things.This site can be very informative as I found out.
    When I got the car the mechanical fuel pump had been replaced with and electric one.I rebuilt the origonal and had to figure out where the vacum lines went for the wipers.Must be on the right track, atleast theres movement now.Where are the cables that need to be greased located? I`d like to try that before removing the wiper motor.Probably should replace the rubber lines as well.Thanks, bob
    Last edited by toolman53; 10-15-2009 at 04:16 PM.

The cables are up under the dash.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Wiper motor cables

Hey guys, thanks for the 411, I guess I`ll be crawling under the dash to oil them up! I read another thread that said to squirt w/d 40 into the vacum lines and that may help freeing up the wipers.
    Thanks again,Bob

Vacume Wiper Hoses

Hello again!
    After looking under the dash to check the wiper cables, I noticed the vacume hoses that are connected to the Y are all dry rotted.Is anyone familer with replacing them? Can it be done without removing the wiper motor? It`s getting cold in Buffalo so I`d like to know the difficulty of it.
    Any insight will be appreciated.Thanks, Bob

Quote Originally Posted by toolman53 View Post
    Hello again!
    After looking under the dash to check the wiper cables, I noticed the vacume hoses that are connected to the Y are all dry rotted.Is anyone familer with replacing them? Can it be done without removing the wiper motor? It`s getting cold in Buffalo so I`d like to know the difficulty of it.
    Any insight will be appreciated.Thanks, Bob
    Its easy. Fuel pump vacuum goes to switch and then to motor on firewall.

BTW. Welcome.

Vacume Wiper Hose replacement 51 Buick

Great ***** Of Fire
    Thanks for your timely answer but the wiper motor is located under the dash not on the firewall. I was wondering how difficult it would be to replace the hoses and if the wiper motor had to br removed.
    Thanks, Bob

Quote Originally Posted by toolman53 View Post
    Great ***** Of Fire
    Thanks for your timely answer but the wiper motor is located under the dash not on the firewall. I was wondering how difficult it would be to replace the hoses and if the wiper motor had to br removed.
    Thanks, Bob
    If you can reach the cables the hoses should be no problem.

Wiper cables

Thanks again GBOF,Bob

as you guys discuss this....what's the deal with the glass bottle on the drivers side of my 53? I thought this was a vacuum canister...
    but I have the vacuum fuel pump as well...
    this glass bottle has a fitting on the top, like a vacuum line would go there...but I did not see any place for a missing vacuum line on the manifold...
    I'd like to get my wipers running as well...

Mike1953

Mike, that glass bottle is for your windshild washers.Very expensive to replace.Getting the wipers to work on my car was one of my first quests.I did change all the vacum hoses because of their age.Since the car was sitting so long the wipers would barely move.I did spray Wd40 into the lines going to the motor and it freed it up, it took a few times.

Toolman53