-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update

Thread: Enuf oil fuild pressure??

Enuf oil fuild pressure??

Hi guys. the car im talking about is a 1950 supper 56r with the 248 and dynaflow. i was just wondering if their is enuf oil pressure to run a oil cooler on the engine and a separate one for the tranny? if so where would i hook up to the tranny? i know where on the engine thats what made me think of the tranny . but i dont want to get it all hooked up and the oil wont go thought the cooler. i think it might help a with cooling if it will work. now this is a "rat rod" not a restored beauty so i will "hide" the coolers but not to worried about b.c.a. judging

Is your 248 plumbed for full-flow filtering, or does it just have the "trickle" filter on it? If it's not plumbed for full-flow, there's no reason to run a cooler, since the trickle circuit has very little oil flowing through it. If full flow, as long as the engine is in decent condition I would think you've got plenty of pressure to push the oil through a cooler. Now the big question? Why do you want to put an oil cooler on this engine? If it's not a flat-out hot rod motor, I wouldn't bother with a cooler.

If it is a hot rod, that DynaFlow is the wrong transmission for this car.....

heay ebbsspeed
    thanks for responding.

now im not sure if it has a "full flow filtering" but the oil filter is about the size of a quart paint can (fram c-4p). I just thought it might help run a bit cooler. they arent all in all that much money. its not a hot rod just a 65 70 mph hiway cruiser i make runs from toledo ohio to columbus,chicago,and all the way to the brookyn n.y. for shows for that past few years. it has overted before but its been fixed. just wondered if it will help.

thanks

Also, the Dynaflow is cooled by antifreeze! Heater hoses go to the trans cooler.
    1953 Special Riviera 45R
    1965 Skylark Hardtop 300-4V
    1965 Mustang (in the family since 1968)
    1965 Corvair Monza Convertible
    1965 Dodge Dart 170 Wagon
    1974 Pontiac Firebird Esprit

thanks Aaron65

boy i hope this is not a problem. beacuse the old guy i picked it up from 7 years ago unhooked the heater so no hoses go to the heat core. or the tranny i guess. i have never had any tranny issues but just high heat but i thought most of it was from the muffler. i need to do some looken underneath. i've put on like 3,500+ miles on it. great now i'm even more worried about the old beast

Yeah, there are about 30 miles of heater hoses under an old Buick! They go to the underseat heater, defroster, and transmission on Dynaflow...Do you have a shop manual for your Buick, 1LOW? If not, I'd get one, they're awfully helpful for a lot of stuff, even though I can't remember if they had the routing for the heater hoses...I think they did...good luck! Get those hoses hooked up to the transmission at least.
    1953 Special Riviera 45R

heay Aaron65

I have two 1950 buicks and they have the heater actually removed from under the seat. i've had one 7 years and the other 8 years with no issues so is the coolent really needed. it doesnt seem like it. casue i've put on some miles with out it. i'm not saying that i know more than you by annymeans. beacuse i dont trust me. i'm a carpenter.

also i do have a shop manual but it's has a radio on it now. i guess i should blow off the dust and stick my big nose in it

thanks
    1lowbuick (DAN)

if you want a look go to myspace/piston jammers
    or myspace/1lowbuick
    i havent updated the sites in a wile

I think I'd hook up the coolers when you get a chance, even though you've had good luck without it! I guess it isn't too urgent...Before you hook them up you probably want to get under there and flush the cooler out to make sure it's clean...
    1953 Special Riviera 45R

thanks Aaron65

i will do this a.s.a.p. now my next question in the manual i dont see annything about the tube size and i have nothing on the car to go off of. in my cars inc. catalog has 3/4 and 5/8 heater hose. i think i need 3/4 do you know o-wise one? and this hose should work right?

The heater hoses are 5/8"...at least on my '53...I don't see why they'd be any different on a '50...you should measure your outlets to be sure.
    1953 Special Riviera 45R