263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 248 high-perf pistons!

Talking Piston Heaven?

Alleycat, I am hoping that you may have some new news on those pistons. I have just pulled the engine and tranny and even found a local gentleman here in South Carolina who retired from professional and race engine building and still does it part time. I am going to transport my engine to him in about 10 days, so I was curious about the pistons. You have some great ideas!!!!!

I got 61 pistons from egge, totaly as cast. I have run all of them through the lathe and got them all "round" so as to determine what oversizes I can get out of them. These things are cast hugely oversize. I'm going to bore my 248 .200 or 84mm oversize. Since my engine already has several sleeves in it and the wall thickness is .240, taking .100 off the wall still leaves .140, plenty okay. I'm going to sonic check the block just in case there may be a thin spot, I will move the bore to even things out. I am sizing the pistons to the ring pack that I can get, since part of this project is to get away from the junk, stock type rings. And, since this is a "from scratch" job, I'm going to try to come up with the most cutting edge piston I can desighn up. To this end I have finaly, as of this week, come up with a mech drawing that is looking really good, and is actually machinable on my machines. A CNC machining center would be cool, but I don't got one! I have 1 or 2 detail things to work out, then draw up the actual, final, drawing that I will machine up, then I've got to machine up 8 that are actually going to go into my engine. This is going to take a while. alleycat