263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update

Thread: Resurfacing the Flywheel

Resurfacing the Flywheel

1950 268 with a manual flywheel.

How can the flywheel be resurfaced? With that raised ring around the pressure plate, I can't see how. Does it need to be done on a lathe? Can that raised area be removed? Seems it just adds mass. Should be able to remove it. Or, should it be retained?

Most OE flywheels are cast iron. They only require resurfacing when they have been burnt or gouged. Burning causes hard spots which are difficult to remove with a lathe unless you have a toolpost grinder. Usually it is done on a machine specifically designed for surfaceing flywheels. It is done by spinning the flywheel and running a grinding wheel over.

I am afraid I am not familiar with the "raised ring" on the 248, but I hope my comment gets you started.
    If you would llike to place an image of your car in your signature, click here for instructions
    WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

on 320,s, the flywheel is raised around the circumference, and the clutch cover sets down into it, so it isnt just a flat flywheel surface like most other flywheels. 248/263 must be the same. I think it could be removed, don,t see why it has to be there cept to locate the clutch cover. I know that some have used different flywheels which were just flat, my flywheel was chopped but the material was removed from the backside.anybody have any other ideas?
    Last edited by 39CENT; 06-03-2009 at 10:17 PM.

I have a spare 320 flywheel. The flywheel to crankshaft bolt holes have threaded inserts in them. Is this factory or a repair job out of the past? Somebody also took a cut on the engine side of the flywheel and managed to remove the timing marks. Are new ring gears available?

Edit: its a 263. Brain fart.

It does have the raised ring around the pressure plate.

I'm off today and going to check the local machine shops and hear what they have to say about doing the job. I just want a good, clean surface. This is going into my old hotrod and I only want to put it together once. Would hate to trust that its ok as is, only to have chatter and have to pull it all apart again.

If its better to leave the extra material and I can find a place that can do the job with it intact, I'll go that route. If its a ploblem for the machine shop and the material can be shaved, than thats the plan.

resurfa

On our salt flat Buick we had the raised portion on the flywheel ground off, it make installing the clutch cover (old term, pressure plate) easier to install. You can also turn the starter ring around for a better gear teeth if it is worn. As for the timing mark, just make a new one on the balancer.