263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine stand for straight eights

Engine stand for straight eights

Has anyone located a source for high quality engine work cradle for straight eights? The typical V8 stand grabs one end only. I want to support engine both ends at about waist height and have full rotating access. I've seen a custom-made rotisserie cradle that would take a lot of work to reproduce, so wondered if a commercially available stand was out there. Thanks,

some guys have taken to adapting two standard bellhousing stands to use engine mounts. they put one stand on each side of the block, it allows full 360* rotation.

don't know how feasible that would be for a straight 8....
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

engine stand for straight eights

I build my engines the old fashioned hillbilly way, on clean cardboard, on the floor.

engine stand

IMG_0894.jpgCopy of IMG_0893.jpg I am about as country come to town as they get, but my days of crawling around on the floor are over. This stand is not exactly what you are wanting, but it does allow you to build the lower end and then with some assistance holding the crank for support from a willing friend, you can spin it and re-attach the arms for the final upper assembly. The entire engine with all the decorations will fit with no obstructions. Doug.
    Last edited by da1958; 03-23-2009 at 06:34 PM. Reason: more info

Very nice! What is the brand of the source stand...or is it totally scratch-built? Thanks,

Just the basic 1200 lb. stand with modifications. After leveling the motor right side up and setting the arm height (basicly bottomed out in the shaft)to the permanent length, I spun the motor and extended the the arms out and created a pin for the second adjustment. Like I said earlier, you still need help to spin it by the time you get the bottom built, but it will hold the complete engine and then some. I plan on posting some pics of the complete restoration when I am done. Doug.

Here is the one I made to support the Buick , works well and I am sorry to say I use it too often (as much as I tear **** up)
    Last edited by saltracer; 04-30-2009 at 07:19 PM.

Holy cow!!!!
    That is serious hard core. Please put some kind of specs out there for me to copy that. Always like to look at nice work. Doug

The riser I made from a piece of 4"X6" I beam.......The bottom legs are 3" sch 40 iron pipe 48" X 16" welded to the
    I beam, which makes it a total of about 36" wide over all (out side of legs).......the top reciever is a short piece of XX strong 4" iron pipe , again welded to the top of the I beam.......and the engine plate is actually a box 15" wide X 12" tall X 4" deep made of 1/2" plate, this was so I could cut out for the crank stub on the front plate and still be strong enough to support complete engine......I sleeved the box at each mounting bolt and located the dowel pin holes on the front plate........... use grade eight bolts ........mount the pipe coming off the back box about 4 1/2" down from the center of the top bellhousing bolts and it will rotate rather well ( only takes you and ONE other guy)
    Last edited by saltracer; 04-30-2009 at 07:19 PM.

Exceptional work. How did you fab the curved base tubing?