263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: STR-8 oiling system

Hi Ray ,Thanks for the Info.
    I think I forget for a While My "Old School" Rule and assemble a customtype Filterhousing with bigger Lines and 3/8" ID
    Fittings in the Block.
    Its here absolute impossible to find Chevy Truck Parts from this Engine,but we haven't them here.
    Only in Pick Ups they still running as "Collector Cars"
    Next Time I will look out for an adequate old Truck Filter Housing from a european Truck like from a MAN,Deutz,Mercedes,Volvo
    or a Caterpillarrope...

I'm nearer now to kick the SBC Guys in theyr ***

Next Winter i pimp the Head with bigger Valves and porting and milling (this Year is enough Money in the Motor flowted and i MUST now on the Streets)

Thank You very much Guys for helping

Jenz
    '38 Special Coupe, pimped 263 cui
    ---- LIFTERS CC GERMANY ----

News from my Oilingproblem,
    You are right,the lines are "was" too small.
    The low Pressure was enough for the Mainbearings but not enough for the Rods,Damn!!
    After 180 Miles are a single nocking I have heard from the new Engine, AND ?:
    Yes,after drop my Oilpan and open the Rodbearings too less Oil on the Rodbearings !!
    The Crank are damaged too.New undersizebearings I have ordered, and the Crank is allready on my Bench and wait for machinig.
    I can kick my own *** for that I believe that it will work
    I was too fast with finishing the Enginebuilding for drive the first Rounds.
    For Now i have changed the Engine (I have a Spare248 inside now).But the frst Meeting
    is next Weekend.
    Now I can take enough Time for fixing the 263er correct.

...learning thru Pain !!

I am shamed
    Last edited by Jenz38; 06-07-2012 at 09:29 AM.

Jenz

Jenz,
    Remember that no matter how big the lines are, the limitation of the flow is only as much as the smallest opening on either side of the pump and the oil galley. if you have a fitting or passageway that is only 5/16 or 3/8, that determines how much flow will go through regardless of the 1/2 lines. Look closely at every connection and turn. We even reworked the oil filter adapter with the die grinder to get max flow on the entry and exit there. we even opened up connection fittings as much as possible without weakening the threads. We have had no signs of oil starvation. These are critical decisions, take your time.
    Doug

Yes ,correct,I had open up the Fittings like the same "too small" ID as the Lines.
    When the new Oilfilterhousing is coming I will open it up and the the fittings too,up as much it is save for the Material.
    In the Block I must tap bigger Threads of course.Now it is easy to fix the Threads an the importants Thing for Me,is to blasting out the Swarfs. The whole Engine and Crank is out and all the work is now very easy.

Thats the only positiv Aspect on this

Thanks Doug
    Last edited by Jenz38; 06-07-2012 at 09:22 AM.

Jenz

Quote Originally Posted by Jyrki View Post
    Gerry, thanks for the pics! Your oiling system caught my attention. I am wondering if you managed to route 100% of the oil thru the filter, and if yes, how did you modify the main oil gallery to accomplish this?

I remember someone else on this forum had also a full filtered system, but I forgot to ask how he did it. So here's your chance to spill your secrets! Anyone?

I'm also interested to hear if people have kept the Buick "floating" pickup tube functional. In principle it's kind of smart, but I don't know if it might cause the pump to suck air under some conditions?
    The Buick has the same setup as the early GMC truck engines.

http://www.inliners.org/tech/full_flo_GMC.html

More questions re full flow systems

Buick Guy, Jenz 38 and all the rest, greetings from Australia. I'm retoring a 1947 Buick Super, body off and a complete rebuild of the engine.
    I've read with great interest all the posts and decided to modify my engine as well.
    I have a few questions re the actual tapping and drilling of the block.
    How did you drill the oil gallery holes? Did you just centre punch the spot and use a hand drill getting bigger each time or did you get it done at a machine shop?
    How did you measure the internal size of the gallery to tap the thread for the plug to block the gallery so the oil goes to the filter?
    Do you think an10 is bigenough to allow sufficient flow for the oil?
    I have contacted Cars Inc who said that the filters replacemnts they sell are made of modern material and construction so I hoped to use the old canister for the filter for originality.
    Just where is the plug placed (how far up) to block the vertical gallery and where is the gallery tapped for the return or is it obvious when looking at the block what and where to do it? I'm at work in Papua New Guinea at the moment and don't have the block to look at as I think of these questions.
    May I have some detailed pictures of you drillings so I don't screw my block up? Would hate to do so after so much work on the rebuild so far. Found this thread just in time as I was about to put the crankshaft and pistons in.
    For Buick Guy, does your filter drain back to the sump over time being on its side? And is there a reason that it is mounted horizontally not vertically?
    The more I research the whole rebuild scene the more I find out and want to do. Howevre time is against me and I want to finish the car before I get too old to enjoy it and become a menace to all other road users. Been going on for ten years now hopefully only a couple left!
    Thanks in advance for the help.

Trackless

Hi Trackless
    the Oilhole between Pump and Gallerie is at my Block the correct ID for cut in careful a (Metric)M 16 Thread without predrilling. For the Plug i use a schortend (0.5 Inch long)M 16 Screw with a cut in, to turn it in with a Screwdriver. the plug is saved with Loctite Blue for Threads .I have it
    all drilled with hand,the outside Extra Holes to. but the Engine was disassembled and dry for complete clean out all Lines after drilling.
    For the setting the Plug You must meassure how deep is the beginning of the Maingallerie,thats the End from Your M 16 thread. And
    under the installed Plug You drill the Outsidecomming Fitting.

Thats my Version

Is it OK,Buick Guy ?

Greetz

Jenz

Smile Thanks

Jenz 38,
    Thanks for your reply, given me new hope that I can do it myself and not stuff it all up!
    Will keep intouch and let the mob know how I go when I get home.
    Thanks again

Trackless

OK,let me/us hear how's your project going on . Greetings to the other Side of the World

Jenz