263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Straight 8 initial timing

Straight 8 initial timing

When I was replacing gasket and everything I had the distributor out of the car and I had to move the crank to remove/install the oil pan. My question is how do I get my initial timing back? I set the flywheel at TDC and have the distributor at the #1 plug but she just isn’t turning over.

Thanks,

Lee

the timing marks come up twice but #1 cyl. is only on the compression stroke one of those times. I usually just bite the bullet and pull the valve cover and look at the position of the valves. if you have some help you can pull the plugs put your finger over the #1 plug hole and have a helper crank the motor over till you feel compression.

Thanks for the reply, I do have the valve cover off but let me ask you this, do I want both of the valves closed (up position)or one up one down?

both valves need to be closed with the timing marks showing ,plug the dist. in and rotate it till the points just start to open this should be close enough to fire. I see you live in Jackson Tn. I live in Memphis.

Yeah, I moved out here from Cali and I never want to go back!

The guy who owned it before me put an electronic ignition in so I have no points.

I've been doing it right then but she just doesn't want to start, time to start looking else where for the problem I guess.

Thanks,

Lee

OK you have the distributor installed .you have #1 plug wire going to #1 plug and the fireing order installed in a counter clockwise direction. I think I'd give it a shot of starting fluid because all you really need is spark and fuel to get a little action.

Straight 8 Initial Timing

Make sure #1 cylinder is on compression stroke, (no pressure on the valve springs, or the rocker arms) take the distributor in your hand as if it was in the engine. Take the vacum advance and face it towards the firewall at a 8:30 angle. Turn the rotor to 10 o"clock, at this point look at the position of the oil pump drive at the bottom of the distributor. Take a screw driver, and turn the oil pump rod to that position. #1 on the distributor cap is the first spark plug tower just to the left of the spring clip closest to the engine. The firing order is 16258374 in a counter clock wise direction. You will have to turn the rotor clock wise to about 12:30, and as you slide the distributor in the engine. The rotor will trun counter clock wise on it own. If 12:30 is too much, bring it back a little. If 12:30 is not enough, then turn it a little more until you get the rotor where you want it. The engine should fire after taking these steps. I hope I'm drawing a good picture for you. Let us know how you make out.
    Anthony
    aka Straight80

Thank you Charley and Straight80 for your help.

Straight80 I will be trying your suggestion this weekend.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thank you,

Lee

Every day I check this post hopeing to see where you fired that baby off!

Firing That Straight 8 Up

FYTClub,
    Charlie and I are waiting to hear from you. Is everything going OK with the timing? We can't hear it run from here, but we can sure imagine that we can. I know when one doesn't do these type of things every day, it can be a real chore. Don't get flustered with it, enjoy it. Don't look at it as if you were battling with it. Look at it as a learning process, and enjoy it. Because once you get it down, it will be like a piece of cake the next time with any engine that has a distributor, timing belt, or even timing gears for that matter. I don't care what engine it is, even if it doesn't have a distributor, the engine still has to be timed manually when being assembled. If you need anymore help, please don't hesitate to ask.

Anthony

aka Straight80