-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update

Thread: Cracked block

Cracked block

My brother has a 1950 46D Sedanette with a 248 and a 3 speed manual gearbox. It appears to have a cracked block. Is the block different for a dynaflow car or are all 248's the same regardless of transmission?
    What would be his other options if the block is not fixable? What straight 8's would fit up to this 3 speed gearbox?
    Cheers
    Matt
    1956 Century 66R

As the commercial says, 'parts is parts'; in this case 'blocks is blocks'. Dynaflow models used a different flywheel and bell housing, but the basic engines were the same. However, cracked blocks can, in a lot of cases, be repaired depending on where the crack is and who's doing the repairing. Ask around locally and see who you can find before hunting for another mill.

Probably fixable

If it is a crack in a water jacket from freezing, it is probably fixable. My 1950 248 had this kind of crack, under the intake manifold, about 10 inches long. My dad was a welder, and he actually used an arc-welder to fix it.
    First, he had me wire-brush the area completley clean to the bare metal. Then I carefully drilled a hole in each end of the crack to keep it from "running". He used a technique he called step-welding - he started one inch from the end and welded back to the drilled hole. Then he skipped down another inch and welded back to the first weld, proceeding all the way down the crack. When it was all welded up, I wirebrushed the weld, filled a few tiny pinholes with JB Weld, and it was done. Never leaked a drop after that.

Cracked block

Just out of curiosity, what kind of rod did he use?

Sorry, I don't know. He passed away in 1994, so I can't ask him. Could have been brass-based, but I don't know for sure.

cracked block

if a crack is in the water jacket it can be welded , use Rod numbers 99 or 55 these are a nickel rod 99 is more malable 55 is a harder rod and can be machined , i like 55 drill a hole at each end of the crack , use a dremel and grind a v along the crack , using 55 rod weld roughly an inch an tap the weld for about 2 minutes lightly to temper it ,move down a bit weld again same thing dont weld so long that it gets to hot , and it should work fine , there was an article awhile back in one of the jeep magazines about welding cast iron , was informative , good luck ,