-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update

Thread: Putting the oil pan back on

Putting the oil pan back on

Is there a trick to this? I'm having a problem putting the oil pan back on my 50 Buick, it keeps getting hung up on my steering rods. I lifted the front end by the frame today and it helped but not enough.

Thanks

Lee

No one????

Well if you have never taken your oil pan off let me tell you that you NEED to do it. My oil pickup screen was completely clogged and there was a ton of stuff in the pan. Surprisingly the engine looked prett good though.

I might not have explained myself correctly in my first post, let me try again.

When I try to pu my oil pan back on there is a "dam" of sorts in the middle of the pan were it gets shallow towards the front that hangs up on my oil pump. I'm assuming the dam is there to prevent all the oil from rushing to the front of the pan when the car stops. I have the car lifted from the frame to get the steering rods to droop but it's not helping.

The only thing I can think of is to cut a notch out of the dam that would let the oil pump clear or take off the steering rods or pull the motor.

Any advice would be welcome.

The weights on the crankshaft might be blocking it. Try moving the crank a little until it clears. The next step would be to remove the steering arm to drop the linkage or raise the engine...

The crank is out of the way, it's the oil pump and the steering linkages....looks like the linkages are coming out.

Thanks GBoF.
    Last edited by Fytclub; 09-06-2008 at 07:49 PM.

WAIT!!!! Just jack the car up slowly on your ramps or whatever until it clears...use the crossmember to jack it...you MAY need to turn the crank so the first counterweight is up in the engine!
    1953 Special Riviera 45R
    1965 Skylark Hardtop 300-4V
    1965 Mustang (in the family since 1968)
    1965 Corvair Monza Convertible
    1965 Dodge Dart 170 Wagon
    1974 Pontiac Firebird Esprit

Oops, I just read that the crank is in the engine...still should clear with car jacked up at the crossmember--might take a little finagling...
    1953 Special Riviera 45R
    1965 Skylark Hardtop 300-4V
    1965 Mustang (in the family since 1968)
    1965 Corvair Monza Convertible
    1965 Dodge Dart 170 Wagon
    1974 Pontiac Firebird Esprit

Hi
    Yes, however you twist it, either the oil pump or the steering linkage is in the way. Own experience (and the shop manual of my '48) tells me, that it's better to loosen the tie rod ends to get the steering linkage free. The rubber dust caps of your tie rod ends may need replacement anyway and just that is worth the wrestle.
    Have once or twice fiddled in the oil pump with the pan half way positioned, resting loose on the steering linkage. Needed 3 arms, 4 hands and camelion eyes for the operation. Never again. With some bad luck, you damage the pan to block gasket and/or don't get the oil-pump properly installed. So, do it by the book: loosen the steering links.
    PS: Have also tried to hoist the engine, didn't help either.

T-TUBE